Sunday, January 17, 2016

Heidelberg continued


In Heidelberg we walked around and spent some time sitting in the town square eating chocolate bars and enjoying the scenery. Here are some scenes from our afternoon.  Notice above how narrow the streets are.







Town square




The reason the streets are so narrow and labyrinthine is because it helped ward off invaders from getting to the castle.  While the enemy was working their way through the maze of streets and alleyways, the citizens of Heidelberg were retreating to the castle and fortifying it.




Turn of the century house we toured.



Heidelberg Castle



Castle overlooking town square.










Wouldn't you like to live in a town where the houses looked like this?










The markings on the edge of the building show the water levels when the Neckar River over flowed and flooded the town.  Apparently a serious problem at times.





Still smiling after biking 30 miles.  Or grimacing.





The Heidelberg monkey is at the foot of the bridge that leads into the town.  The brass monkey has superstition wrapped around it.  Touch the mirror for wealth and the monkey's hand to return to Heidelberg.
Next to the monkey are a couple of mice.  If you rub them you will have many children.  I rubbed it for fun, but I'm not particularly fearful of any fertility after results.



Heidelberg University, established in 1386, is Germany's oldest university.  Mark Twain wrote about it as well as the town in his story, Tramps Abroad.

 The church of the Holy Spirit is an interesting mix of modern and traditional art.  If I remember the tour guide correctly, the windows on one side were blasted out during war and replaced with modern works.  I must confess that I preferred the order and harmony of the traditional windows but you can decide for yourself.












 Don't ask me what the white thing hanging from the ceiling is.  Something modern.



 The above window is quite modern but also lovely.

And that is our time in Heidelberg.  Back to the bikes and the river!

7 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

What a beautiful place and these are beautiful pictures.

I was thinking about flooding when I first looked at the pictures. Those watermark photos say a lot.

Brian Joseph said...

What a beautiful place and beautiful pictures.

I was thinking about flooding when I first looked at pictures of the river. That photo of the watermarks say a lot.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

So beautiful. I'd love to bike through Europe.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian! Yes and I forgot to mention that the watermarks also have the date and year when they flooded.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth! I'm sure one day you will get the chance. You should take your kids. What an experience!

Cleo said...

Oh, it looks so quaint for a relatively large town. I didn't visit it on my first trip to Germany, so I'll have to put it on my itinerary, if I ever go back. Thanks for the tour!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleopatra! I certainly hope you will one day be able to go back to Germany and visit this town. It's one of the most historically significant ones in Germany.