Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers; The Case of the Horrified Heirs: a Perry Mason mystery by Erle Stanley Gardner; Ancestral Shadows by Russell Kirk

 I've made a recent discovery in piano music, the compositions of Arthur Farwell.  He wrote some reflective tone poems that I like to listen to when I write.  Here is Roses and Lillies  from his collection called Tone Poems After Pastels in Prose.

 It's Advent and I did not have candles so I went to Walmart.  They did not have Advent candles but they did have this Starbucks mug for five dollars so the trip wasn't a waste.  To me at least.  According to my husband it was.





We're nearing the end of the year and I am scrambling to make my Goodreads goal of 200 books this year.  I thought such an ambitious target would get me to read through more of my TBR pile but all it's made me do is cheat and read a bunch of picture books to make the quota. 

Today I am going to combine three book reviews.  They are not long nor are they very profound but I hope you enjoy reading them, or better, are inspired to read the books.  If you have already read them, tell me whether you liked or hated them and why.


Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey, #3)Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Another good mystery by Sayers.

An elderly woman dies. She was terminally ill with cancer, so no one is surprised that she dies of heart failure. Except the doctor doesn't think she should have died so soon. Peter Wimsey picks up the scent and begins to investigate. It turns out the lady's niece, who happens to be a nurse and who was caring for her, also is going to inherit all of her aunt's money. (The aunt was very rich). No one suspects foul play and an autopsy does not reveal anything but heart failure. Yet Wimsey is not persuaded.

When Wimsey begins to interview other people who worked in the house before the old woman died and they begin to die as well, his suspicions are confirmed.

This was a very interesting story with many different clues and incidents that do not seem to be connected but all the threads are tied together at the end.

Sayer's always does thorough research when writing a story. In this case we get the low down about wills and the different laws that arbitrate them. She weaves this information into her story to make crucial plot developments.

And, of course, what makes Sayer's mysteries especially enjoyable are the lively characters and Wimsey's sharp and, at times, scathing wit.



View all my reviews



The Case of the Horrified Heirs (Perry Mason Mystery)The Case of the Horrified Heirs by Erle Stanley Gardner

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Virginia Baxter is framed for possession of drugs but why? Who did it? Someone is intent on getting her out of the way, not by murder but by having her thrown in prison. What is the motive? Who did she offend or does she know something that could obstruct someone's goal. But what is that goal? What does someone want and how is Virginia in the way?

Lauretta Trent is a wealthy woman in her sixties. She is financially supporting her two sisters and their husbands. She has left a will that was signed by her lawyer and his secretary, who happens to be Virginia Baxter.

For the past few months Lauretta has been hospitalized for digestive upsets. Is it the spicy Mexican food she can't resist or is something else going on? It turns out that her hair and fingernails test positive for arsenic. Who is trying to kill her?

Is it the siblings? They are not given anything in the will. They're better off if she lives. Or is it the chauffeur who stands to gain the most? He also prepares her food.

Nothing is as it seems and what I enjoyed about the story was all the different threads that seemed unrelated and how they come together in the end.





View all my reviews


Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly TalesAncestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales by Russell Kirk

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Russell Kirk is best known for starting the Modern Conservative movement. A devout Catholic, his beliefs permeate each and every story. Therefore, the stories are not simply ghost tales but stories with a higher, other worldly message.

"...the tale of the preternatural- as written by George Macdonald, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and other masters- can be an instrument for the recovery of moral order." -Kirk

All of the stories are surreal, whether they are talking about demon possession, haunted houses, or Native America spiritism. In one story, a man stumbles into a place where dead friends dwell. At first he thinks he is dead, but it turns out that he made a "wrong turn" somewhere. If it was supposed to be heaven, it was a little bleak.

They are not traditional or run of the mill but they are extremely suspenseful and I found them to be rather frightening. Some people will enjoy these stories and some probably won't understand what he's getting at.

You'll have to read them for yourself and decide.



View all my reviews


For Advent devotions I'm reading Thomas A Kempkis' The Imitation of Christ every night.  I'll be reviewing that book at the end of the month.



15 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - My wife reads a lot of mysteries and I think that she wold like at lest the Sayers book.

It is interesting that Kirk put together stories around a common ideological theme. Even moreso that he combined the supernatural with morality. I tend to like it when writers do that kind of thing.

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like that Roses and Lillies, it does seem like the perfect music to write by. I also think I'd like that first book, a good old fashioned mystery, for which I'm long overdue. I can't even imagine finding time to read 200 books in one year, although I do read a LOT of picture books, so maybe. :)

Mudpuddle said...

very nice piano; not Glenn Gould, but soothing... i've read Dorothy Sayers, except for her translation of Dante, and greatly admired all of them; and i read the ESG... but the latter work i'd probably stay away from; too... pedantic?.... maybe...

Carol said...

I'm crying confused about which Sayers books I've read or not but I haven't read the one you mentioned. Will have to remedy that. Do you collect mugs like you do books?
What a good idea to read Imitation of Christ during Advent. I read it a long time ago & would like to read it again. I'm planning on reading/re-reading some older devotional type of books next year.

Carol said...

Ps. Don't know how 'Crying' got into my comment! Very relaxing piece of music 🙂

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Marcia! I like Farwell because his music is nice but not intrusive. I cannot write while dramatic or super beautiful music is playing because I'll just stop and listen.

I have ten more books to read. I think they are going to include some TinTin and Krazy Kat comics I've been meaning to get around to.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle. I have the Dante translation but haven't gotten around to reading it. I also have her Song of Roland that is still collecting dust on a shelf.

I don't know if you'd enjoy Russell or not. I began reading them outloud to my husband but he thought they were a little preachy. At least the first couple were. Some were down right horrifying. It was a mix.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I don't collect anything like I collect books. I go around my house in ragged jeans because if I have spare money it's going toward a book and not new clothes.

So far I'm really enjoying Kempkis. It's a great devotion for this time of year.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Crying confused. Sounds like a great expression. You may have accidentally invented a figure of speech. :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian. Sayers is truly a favorite. Does your wife read Josephine Tey? She's also good.

You may like Russell. Some of the stories were a little preachy but some were pretty scary.

Have a good rest of week and weekend.

Sharon Wilfong said...

By the way, Mudpuddle. Were you the one who suggested Edmund Crispen? I just got one of his mysteries. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Carol said...

🙂 I just found a copy of Unnatural Death - we had a big clean up of the books shelves - so it’s on my list TBR.

Sharon Wilfong said...

You had the courage to clean up your book shelves? Would you clean up mine? I'll pay your ticket. (If you saw the task, you'd not accept :)

Mudpuddle said...

yes, that was most likely me... i think he may be the best mystery writer ever... not to go overboard or anything, i just thought he was good because of his madcapiness...

Sharon Wilfong said...

I am going to read The moving Toy Shop this weekend. I read a short story of his and really liked it.