Sunday, September 23, 2018

Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King

Here is the Cello Suite no. 4 in E-Flat Major performed by
Morten Zeuthen on the Violoncello.





Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented ArchitectureBrunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Fascinating account of the construction of the dome of the Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiori in Florence, Italy centering around it's main architect, Filippo Brunelleschi.

Brunelleschi was the first man in the renaissance to re-invent the major dome like structures that covered many ancient Roman edifices, such as the Pantheon in Rome. This information was lost over the 1500 years since the Roman Empire but Brunelleschi figured out how to use physics and engineering to create a massive dome structure that could support itself and not come crashing down.

Not only do we learn on a layman's level how Brunelleschi accomplished this, we learn about the man himself, his rivals, such as Lorenzo Ghiberti of "Doors of Paradise" fame and others. We learn about Brunelleschi's successes and his failures and also about Florence and Italian Renaissance history and politics.

Anyone interested in Italian Renaissance Art, Architecture, and history will thoroughly enjoy this book.



View all my reviews





8 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I wish I knew more about architecture. Nevertheless this sounds fascinating. It is astounding that this know how, along with so much else was lost for so long.

mudpuddle said...

i read this book about four years ago... it was very fascinating... one of my interests used to be, well still is, actually, cathedral construction in the tenth, eleventh, twelfth centuries. it's just incredible to me that craftsmen of those times achieved the remarkable feats that are still around today.... just walking into one of those places is awe-inspiring and brunelleschi was a genius, imo, figuring all that out and dealing with all the other conflicts and competitions at the same time... i forget who first used flying buttresses, but that has to rank as one of the most remarkable insights ever experienced by anyone... humans are just mind-blowing sometimes; it's too bad they have such a dark side...

Marcia Strykowski said...

You find the most interesting books to read! By the way, I clicked on the cello suite, but I'm thinking the link might be set up wrong. Thanks!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. I know. It's pretty amazing. We think of time B.C. as primitive but they were advanced in many ways.

Sharon Wilfong said...

It is amazing how they were able to operate without machinery. I agree with you about B. He was a genius.

As far as humans. I believe when we create and innovate we glorify God and when we rebel, things get dark.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. I fixed the link problem is you'd still like to listen to the suite. It's worth it.

Cleo said...

I loved this book and have just lent it to a friend's dad who loves architecture and history. Ross King has some great books including The Judgement of Paris on the advent of the Impressionists. I must read it again! Thanks for the review!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleopatra. I did not realize how many people are familiar with this book. I almost did not post my review because I didn't think there would be enough interest, so I'm glad I did.

I have not read J o P but and going to look for it. It sounds good!