Sunday, May 12, 2019

Saint Thomas Aquinas "The Dumb Ox" by G.K. Chesterton; The Westminster Confession of Faith: a Study Guide by Rowland S. Ward


Here is J. S. Bach: Trio Sonata no. 5 in C Major BWV 529 (Allegro).


Today I am combining a couple of my shorter reviews.  I have a lot of reviews on Goodreads that I need to transfer over to my blog.  I guess I will be busy doing that this week.






Saint Thomas AquinasSaint Thomas Aquinas by G.K. Chesterton

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Chesterton is always a roller coaster ride to read. I read somewhere that he dictated all of his writing to a secretary with no revising. While this does prove what an amazing genius Chesterton is, it also helps to understand why you feel as though you are racing around inside his head, plucking one idea out of another.

His turns of phrases are fantastical and are so well stated, sometimes hard to understand, but mostly proverbs that leave you thinking, "Yes! That is very true and I never thought about it that way."

While this is a life of Saint Thomas, an actual chronology of the saint's life is quite minimal. What the bulk of substance is about is a critical analysis of St. Thomas' theology compared and contrasted with St. Augustine's and also later Martin Luther's. Mostly, though, it is like all of Chesterton's literary essays, which are a comparative and contrast to the Spirit of the Age, which dares to call itself rational and enlightened.

Chesterton is a Catholic, through and through, and while I don't hold that against him, I must confess I am more in Augustine and Luther's camp than Aquinas'. I would not mind reading another biography or at least a book about Aquinas' doctrines to get a better idea of how well supported his theses are.



View all my reviews





The Westminster Confession Of Faith, A Study Guide: A Verbal Modernisation Of The Text As Adopted By The Church Of Scotland In 1647 With Analysis And CommentaryThe Westminster Confession Of Faith, A Study Guide: A Verbal Modernisation Of The Text As Adopted By The Church Of Scotland In 1647 With Analysis And Commentary by Rowland S. Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For those of us who love to read exactly what particular denominations believe about Systematic Theology, this is a good resource.

This confession details what Orthodox and conservative Presbyterians believe about God, the Bible, and the church. It is includes a thorough statement about every aspect of Christianity. Who is God, what is the Trinity? What is the Bible, is it inerrant etc..what is the church body, what is a Christian and so on.

This edition is also a study guide with expanded explanations of each statement by Rowland S. Ward. I can't say I agree with everything he says, but anyone who would like a deeper knowledge of the Christian faith from a Reformed perspective would find this an excellent resource.




View all my reviews



And, finally, I am trying to improve my language skills by reading the entire Bible in French. There was a cheap download for my Kindle.  I'm up to Numbers.



Until next time:  Adieu!



11 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Some time ago I decided to read St Thomas as well as St. Augustine. I read City of God and Confessions by St. Augustine but never moved on to St. Thomas. I should do so soon. I would do that before reading someone else’s interpretation of his work. With that, Chesterto

Brian Joseph said...

I read City of God and Confessions by St. Augustine but never moved on to St. Thomas. I should do so soon. I would do that before reading someone else’s interpretation of his work. With that, Chesterton sounds like he had an interesting mind.

I read a bit of French. My wife is fluent. Reading the Bible in French sounds daunting. Good luck in your endeavor!

RTD said...

French? Bravo! I had a course in Koine Greek in college, but didn't do very well; I had planned on reading NT in original KG, but it became one of those mice and men plans. I would have liked to have learned Hebrew, but my language aptitude meant I would have had no chance. So, I'm stuck with English translations. I bounce between KJV and NRSV.

mudpuddle said...

wow! play, magic fingers! the flautist had that part down! wonderful blend, the soft baroque flute sound with violin... takes me back...
not sure i believe that re Chesterton; vague memory of a description of his writing techniques which involved a lot of walking... i could be misremembering, tho...

Sharon Wilfong said...

I have St. Augustine's Confessions, but have not read then yet. You and I have to trade reading places. :) I agree with you about reading someone's personal thoughts before someone else's, although I'm not sure I did that in St. Thomas' case.

Because I am familiar with the Bible in English, it is not so bad reading it in French because I don't have to use a dictionary.

Have a good week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. I would love to do that too, but I think it's something I'll never get around too. I guess I'll have to stick with French and Spanish.

I like those translations, too. I mainly read ESV.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Isn't wonderful, mudpuddle? I just love Bach and his small ensemble pieces.

Do you mean about his never revising? I read that in a bio of him somewhere. Doesn't matter. I'll never achieve that level of genius, although, I do prefer to do my own writing. I mean are you really "writing" when you dictate to someone else? Of course the result is the same. Hmm...

mudpuddle said...

good question... i guess it would be the same as comparing audio books with printed ones... i was interested in a comment i saw-don't recall where-about book memory being different in ereaders as compared to real books...

Sharon Wilfong said...

It is interesting. What is reading, exactly. Because Josh prefers to listen to books, I prefer to read them, but what's the difference, really.

Also, I read about many authors who either dictate to a secretary, or to a recording machine. I wonder how the revising and editing is achieved, then, because you'd have to listen to what you said and then change it.

I'd love to read someone's research on that.

Marian H said...

Wow, reading the Bible in French!! Reading French is a dream of mine, and though the Bible is familiar, I feel it would still be pretty challenging. :)

I'd heard of that first book, but didn't know there were comparisons in it to Luther and Augustine. That sounds really interesting, and now I certainly want to read it!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Marion. I've always wanted to learn French. I've been taking the Rosetta stone for a couple of years now and it's helped with my pronunciation. Because I'm already familiar with the Bible in English it is easier to read it in French.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the book when you are able to read and review it.