Sunday, November 10, 2019

Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie

I hope you enjoy Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21, K.467


As you know I spent the last half of October in Israel.  The first stop was New York.  The second stop was Ukraine.  The following photos are of Turkey and Cyprus from the sky as we flew over.  You may or may not know that I was born in Turkey, but left when I was only a year old. I always wanted to return so it was exciting to finally see it in person.

Turkey:



Cyprus:














Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great WarDreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War by Robert K. Massie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a superb history of the events and characters surrounding the years leading up to WWI.

Massie starts with Queen Victoria, her childhood, her reign as Queen and her offspring. For a long time I did not realize how the major leaders in Europe were all related to each other, having Queen Victoria for a grandmother.

Massie does an excellent job of describing the English culture vs the German culture and how fiercely nationalistic both countries were, although Germany seems to have taken their identity to extreme heights, which helps explain the Kaiser's ambitions to conquer and colonialize third world nations.

Different chapters are devoted to leaders, Prime Ministers, Naval Ambassadors, Counselors etc... we learn of the famous Bismark, and also some good insight into Winston Churchill's upbringing and his, uh, shall we say, free-wheeling parents and also his neglected childhood, which can be heart-rending to read.

We read about the Boer War and ultimately the events that led to WWI. I had always wondered why the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand caused a world war, but then one sees the machinations behind...Austria wanting to reduce Slovenia back to a vassalage. Slovenia's refusal to return to serfdom, Russia coming to their aid, France coming to Russia's aid, England coming to France's aid and, finally the U.S. coming to everyone's aid.

Why? Because Kaiser Wihelm was determined to become Emperor of Europe and was going to back Austria invading Slovenia as a means to accomplish this.

A long, but informative and enjoyable read.


View all my reviews


And our first stop:  Tel Aviv.  Stay tuned...


10 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - I actually remember when Dreadnaught was first published seeing it in bookstores. It seems not that long ago but I think that it was 1991! Over the years I have always thought about reading it. The book sounds great. I find both the history and the shops fascinating.

The Mozart piano concertos are wonderful. We are so lucky to be able access such a variety of music within seconds.

Have a great evening!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian.

I had this book for so long on my shelves and finally my sister, who also had the book wanted us to read it together. I think she got side tracked, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know you would give a brilliant review whenever you read it.

Have a good evening and rest of the week!

mudpuddle said...

i ought to eead this, or some similar history... i've read about the effects of the war and a couple of diaries of participants, but the overall picture remains dim... wonderful pictures: lots of mountains...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle!

This is a great book. I always am curious as to how world events came to be. This book gave a lot of information that made me feel more educated on the subject.

I'm glad you like the photos.

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

The photos are wonderful! Can't wait for more!

I've heard Massie is an excellent writer and I can't wait to read one of his books. I was happy to see the 5 star rating!

RTD said...

Great posting .... I’m now looking for copy of the book .... thanks ....

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T.

You would enjoy this book and would write a great review, Im' sure.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Cleo. Apparently my reply wasn't posted. I have since bought more Massie books. I can't wait to read them. Enjoyed your review of Wharton!

Stephen said...

Pity Wilhelm's ambition....he was a poor master of Germany, let alone the continent!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Stephen,

Yep. One despot is all it takes. Still many to be found in the world, though.