Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Rome: Day 3 The Roman Coliseum, Palatine Hill, Ancient Ruins and the Roman Forum

The Coliseum
Yesterday we spent the day walking around the Roman Coliseum, Palatine and the Roman Forum.  Lots and lots of walking in the heat but absolutely worth it.  I took a lot of pictures of the amphitheater.  The floor no longer exists so the lower level where the prisoners, gladiators and animals were kept was exposed. 
You could get your photo with a Roman Soldier.  This one was taking a break.

Underground where the animals, gladiators and prisoners stayed while waiting their fate.
  
  

 

Derek is sitting outside a small shop where we had lunch and the best gelato in Rome.


Palatine Hill

From there we walked around the Palatine which is on a hill next to the Coliseum.  It was once a palatial garden with a mansions where the emperor entertained.  The magnitude is incredible.  It's amazing what slave labor can accomplish. There are also a lot of Roman remains where excavators are still digging and uncovering artifacts.  The columns are incredible.




Head of colossal statue of the Emperor Constantine




Little Car. Wonder how many mpg it gets.




There must be as many motorcycles in Italy as there are cars.




















The above and following photos are of the Palatine Gardens
and Roman Ruins being excavated.









The Roman Forum where the politicians of the ancient Roman Republic used to debate and give speeches.
   
 This was our last day in Rome.  From there we traveled to Florence.  Next week photos of our travels through Tuscany and the things we saw in the city that was the birthplace of the Renaissance.

10 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Theres are very impressive photos!

It makes me think of all the people who lived and died in these places. I doubt that they had any idea that thousands of years later people would be marveling at the places and thinking about them.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Brian: I was thinking the same thing. These artifacts and paintings are the closest things we have to time travel where we can connect to the past. It's very important to maintain that connection. I think I need to review some books I read a while ago: I, Claudius and Claudius the God.

Man of la Book said...

What a great trip, the architecture is amazing especially considering that it was all done without power tools.

Going to make the short trip to Israel?

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Sharon Wilfong said...

Zohar: I thought that as well. How did they make edifices that have lasted 2000 years without help from modern power tools and machines?
As for Israel: Unfortunately, not this time. I would love to go to Israel. That's another life long dream-especially since I was born in nearby Turkey. My son is considering going to a college in Jerusalem in a couple of years. If he does, I will definitely be going!

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I enjoyed your pictures of Rome. My kids and I just finished another year of studying Ancient Rome. I wonder if I'll ever face my fear of flying and take a trip to many of these places to see the beautiful artwork and architecture that I have been learning about with my kids, all these years.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Oh, I hope you do, Ruth. You feel as if you're walking through the pages of the Bible. Very moving.

Stephen said...

Beautiful shots! After seeing "Roman Holiday", it's hard to imagine Rome without the scooters and such.

I wonder how much of ancient Rome is buried beneath the foundations of present buildings -- some they only discover when building anew. And to think the site of the Colosseum used to be an enormous fake lake!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Stephen! I am reading a great book on the history of the Coliseum. It not only gives an account of the Coliseum but the history of the Roman emperors as well as the early Christians. I have just finished reading about the barbaric invasions and am now up to Charlemagne coming to Rome to be crowned Holy Roman Emperor. Take care!

Stephen said...

What book is this, if I may ask?

Thanks for sharing again!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Stephen. The book was printed in 1971. It's called The Colosseum by Peter Quennell. It's out of print but you can get it cheap on Amazon or Ebay. I recommend it.