Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Dark night's Work and Other Stories by Elizabeth Gaskell





The Case of the Phantom Cat








The other night Josh and I were in our front roomWe have two living rooms; the front room has a bay window that faces the street.  This is where I keep my piano and where we watch TV.



I give you a brief description of our house to understand what happened next.  We heard a noise like something falling down.  I ran out of the front room, through the back room past the dining room and into the kitchen.  There used to be a way from the front room directly into the dining room but we made a wall out of bookshelves that now separates the two rooms.

 All that to say that I lost precious seconds getting to the kitchen to find out what the noise was.  I assumed it was Breeya our little geriatric dog who often wanders aimlessly around the house, neither seeing nor hearing nor knowing where she is (sad).


I went through the kitchen to the utility room and out the back door where the motion sensor light was on.  I looked around for Breeya but couldn't find her.  When I returned to the front room, she was there lying under the piano, peacefully sleeping.

That could only mean one thing.

It was the cat!  We have a cat that is sneaking into our house through the doggie door at night.  She is helping herself to Breeya's food dish and pushing things off our kitchen counters for her personal amusement.

I don't know for a fact it is a cat.  It could be a 'possum or a raccoon, but I doubt it.  Either of those animals probably wouldn't be able to tear out of our house with the lightening speed of this animal.  I have not seen it yet.  

But I know you're there, cat, and if you're reading this, know you will be discovered and face the due penalty of your sins.  I'm not sure what that penalty will be, that's between you and God, but know that the wicked do not prosper.

Les Oiseaux  Tristes by Maurice Ravel is playing. The composer is also the performer in this vintage recording. Les Oiseaux Tristes is French for sad birds. I think that this is how my little Hercaloo is feeling because I now have to keep her in the cage when I go out for fear Senor don Gato eats her.



A Dark Night's Work and Other StoriesA Dark Night's Work and Other Stories by Elizabeth Gaskell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A Dark Night's Work and Other Stories are a small collection of short stories by the Victorian author Elizabeth Gaskell.

Gaskell was close friends with Charlotte Bronte, or at least as close as anyone could get with a recluse in five years, which was how long they knew each other before Bronte died.

Her work does not come near the power of Bronte's but still deserves a place in British and world literature.

Her work can often be dark and suspenseful as is the first and longest story in this anthology. This affected the way I read the other stories, reading them in fearful suspense, waiting for something dreadful to happen to the protagonists who were so vulnerable.

In A Dark Night's Work, a man does something criminal which is witnessed by his man servant and his daughter. They all agree to cover it up to preserve his tenuous standing in his social circles. They all pay a price however that permanently alters their lives.

The next story, Libbie Marsh's Three Eras, is about a poor homeless girl and her relationship with a crippled, lonely boy who she first sees through her window lying in bed next to the window of the house opposite.

In Six Weeks at Heppenheim a British man touring Germany becomes ill and is bedridden in an inn for several weeks in a small German village. While there he gets to know the inmates of the inn and their inner dramas, finding himself drawn in and finally a participant in their lives.

Cumberland Sheep-Shearers is without much plot and is mainly an observation of farm life during sheep-shearing time, although there is a slight story of romance between a man and woman which is hardly referred to but nevertheless makes a strong social statement, a statement that is prevalent in all Gaskell's stories.

The piece de resistance, however, is the last story. What the Grey Woman lacks in length, it more than makes up for in horror and suspense. A young, inexperienced girl is swept off her feet by a French count who carries her away to his remote and isolated chateau in the Swiss mountains. The terrifying discoveries awaiting her there induce her to finally escape with a loyal maid. What follows is a suspenseful chase scene that kept my stomach in knots to the end.

None of Gaskell's stories can be called profound and certainly don't hold a candle to the great's of the 19th century such as Jane Austin, the Bronte sisters, Trollope, or her good friend Thackery. She can rightly be accused of sentimentality at times approaching the maudlin. In Hollywood, she would be a "B" actor. Incidentally, the BBC has created several fine productions of her novels, my favorite being the Cranford series.

However she ably paints the English landscape in a way that reminds one of a Hudson School painting. Perhaps the others made clearer exposes of human character, but Gaskell showed the complicated social strata that afflicted a class conscious society and that by itself makes her books worth reading.








View all my reviews

20 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I do not envy that cat :)

I really should have read Elizabeth Gaskell but I think that I would at least like her. I just finished AnnAnn Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. The Gray Lady sounds like it has a similar plot.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. I have not read Radcliffe. I must try her sometime. Gaskell not a favorite of mine, but I am glad I read her. She certainly has value to offer, especially in encapsulating a time period for future generations.

Cleo said...

I really love Gaskell! Even though her works cannot equal the power of Jane Eyre for example, I think her writing is more consistent. I have liked her books better than Emily or Ann Bronte's, although yes, she can't touch Austen.

This book sounds different than her other works though perhaps not as strong. I'll certainly keep an eye open for it. Thanks for the review! :-)

Mudpuddle said...

i've wondered about EG... i should give her a try... in the fulness of time...
maybe putting out a dish of food at night? nono, that would lead to an unwanted menagerie... hook up a recording of some sort to the doggie door triggered by a switch operated by the moving door that would scare the critter off...? but then you'd have to wear earplugs to sleep... hmmm.... more thought required here...

Sharon Wilfong said...

And you know, Mudpuddle, I love cats. I would adopt the little furry intruder if I wasn't afraid she would eat my bird.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I enjoyed these stories although I felt they did not have much of an arc, other than the first and last. I also thought Gaskell could get a little sentimental. I loved the TV series, however on Cranford and would like to read those stories, especially since you say that her other books are different.

And no one can touch Austen.

RTD said...

Good luck with the phantom feline. And thanks for the good caveat emptor review. Here on the coast, we dodged another storm. But I messed up and somehow “killed” my blog while I was fussing with Blogger. So, until I get it rebuilt and replaced, I’ll have to be just a visitor to your and other folks’ fine blogs. BTW, possums might be slow, but raccoons can move quickly. So, watch out for that critter!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. I'm glad to hear Nate did not turn out to be the monster the other storms were. My parents live on the Gulf Coast as well and they are well, thank goodness.

Sorry about your blog. I must confess I find it a little bit of an adventure wondering where your blog is going to turn up next.

And it's always worth finding.

Since I wrote this post I discovered it is a cat because I have caught it red-handed. It is a beautiful cat, but unfortunately there is no room for her in our little menagerie.

RTD said...

We’ve had half a dozen feral visitors over the past couple of years. We captured them, had them fixed at the vet, and released them; three remain and live in our garden shed and yard, but they remain standoffish. Is that cat’s ear notched? If so, it’s been fixed. Good luck.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Ha, ha, ha. I have not gotten close enough to see the ear. I've snuck up on her while she was eating out of Breeya's dog dish but she shoots out the doggie door as soon as she sees me.

RTD said...

Sharon, good luck with the feral cat. BTW, I've reinvented the blog here with a new address (slightly different from the previous version), and I've offered the "inaugural" posting (below). Any thoughts?
https://informalinquiry.blogspot.com/2017/10/emily-dickinson-much-madness-is.html

Sharon Wilfong said...

On my way, RT.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like quite the troublesome cat! I don't think I've ever read any of Gaskell's work, but I did enjoy the Cranford episodes, and also North and South.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I wish I could adopt her, assuming she's not feral. She looked pretty well taken care of. But there have been developments...stay tuned...

I liked the Cranford series as well, although I had a hard time with North and South. The heroine was such a self-righteous little pill.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I definitely enjoyed your suspenseful and entertaining intro. I do hope you find the little burglar. So did your dog remain asleep even after the crash, and did not go to investigate? : D

I envy that you have a little reading place in your yard (from your most recent post), and that you are able to read so much. I'm so behind in reading blogs, books, and posting reviews. :(

My only Gaskell was North and South, and I did not love it. Too long. Maybe her short stories would be tolerable.

Sharon Wilfong said...

My poor little Breeya is so senile she does not know where she is anymore.

This is the only Gaskell I have read. It was good but she can get a little long. She does not have the power of her good friend Charlotte Bronte, although ironically, Gaskell was the more well-known writer at the time.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Oh, poor guy. I was going to say, "What kind of watch dog..." but now I understand.

Sharon Wilfong said...

The fate of us all one day....

Carol said...

I loved Gaskell's North & South & enjoyed the BBC productions of her books. Haven't read any of her short works but I also have a bio of Charlotte Bronte she wrote that I've had for ages. I was a little put off reading it when I heard that her treatment of Bronte tended towards hagiography.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol. I have not read Gaskell's bio of Bronte although I heard it is rather glowing. I still would like to read it. I read a really good one about all the Bronte sisters that I thought was fair.

This is all I've read of Gaskell but I really enjoyed the Cranford Series on TV. It was over too soon.