Sunday, May 27, 2018

Books from my TBR pile

 We were leaving for my son's graduation and would be gone for a week.  I was worried about my little green monster.   We have Allen, a college student, staying with us and he assures me he will play with Hercule, but I worry that he will be lonely.  I decided to do something about it.

Meet Lt. Foyle:




 
How will little Foyle and Hercule get along?  So far, Hercule is less than thrilled with his little friend.  We'll have to wait and see.





And now for something fun, but first, if you like vocal music, here is Renee Fleming singing Five Venetian Melodies by Gabriel Faure.




I got the idea from Travellin' Penguin's blog.  She spelled out the name of her blog with the titles of books from her TBR pile.  Ironically, with as many books on my own pile (or mountain) I could not spell out my blog's name with the titles so I used the name of the authors. This list is from my fiction TBR pile.  I may make another with my non fiction.  


G is for Graham Greene.  Of this collection, I've only read the Quiet American.






E is for Enrique Vila-Matas:  Never Any End to Paris




N is for V.S. Naipaul:  The Mimic Men




T is for Anthony Trollope:  Can You Forgive Her from The Palliser Novels





L is for D.H. Lawrence.  The whole collection.



Y is for W.B. Yeats: Irish Folk and Fairy Tales



M is for Thomas Mann:  The Magic Mountain



A is for Louis May Alcott:  Jo's Boys.




and D is for Charles Dickens:  Martin Chuzzlewit




 Are there any on my list you like?  Dislike?  Curious about?  I cannot promise when I will get around to reading any of them, much less reviewing them.  They are only nine books and I own 700 that I have yet to read.  Whew.  That was my big confession.  Anyone else as bad as me?  Please don't tell me that I win the longest TBR queue award.

9 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

maybe this will print; the last comment didn't, i think.. i hope Herc and the lt. get along; don't know how first impressions work in parakeets... the only one on the list i wouldn't read is Laurence; i don't know what readers see in his writing; it's verbose and poorly organized, i've thought... and i've read some of the others... i liked the Magic Mountain best, i think; i should reread it...
P.S.: i blush and it's really not my fault, but i have about 2500 books the last time i counted, last year... no plans to divest, tho... i like them...

Brian Joseph said...

This is a fun and neat thing to do Sharon. I love your choice of books. I must give this a try myself.

I like the looks of Lt. Foyle. Hopefully he and Hercule will eventually become friends.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian. So far Hercule does not like Foyle, but my husband has really taken to him so I guess he is a daddy's bird.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Wow oh wow! Mudpuddle. Do you 2500 books altogether or are those the only books you have not read? If so I feel sooooo much better about myself. I only have 1900 books altogether, 700 of which I have not read.

In fact, I think I need to buy more books to catch up with you. I'm not sure if Josh will agree....

Mudpuddle said...

no that's total; i'd guess i've read maybe a third of them...

Carol said...

Hi sharon, I would be interested to hear what you think of Naipaul & also Martin Chuzzelwit. I've read a lot of Dickens but not that one or The Pickwick Papers. I hope your birds behave themselves while you're gone. One of my sons has done a bit of housesitting with the animals included & has had a couple of interesting experiences :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol. I just checked my spam folder and found your comment. Something is wrong with my blog.

Martin Chuzzelwit has been on the pile for many years because I just can't motivate myself to read it, so don't expect a review any time soon.

I read one non-fiction by Naipaul. I found his writing style fluid and colorful but he seems to be emotionally detached to the people he encounters and in the end his book left me cold. Nevertheless, I am interested to read this book and a couple more of his I have on my pile.

I would like to hear about your son's experiences. I used to animal sit a friends small farm on weekends when he was out of town (a couple of dogs and cats, a few chickens, turkeys, a miniature horse and a sheep that followed the horse everywhere). They were more like pets. They would come running up to me when I arrived. Sometimes I would find the body of a chicken, killed by a coyote. I took it hard. My calling is not farming.

Marcia Strykowski said...

Welcome to Foyle! I hope they become fast friends. I like your inclusion of so many old classics on your list. I haven't read Irish Folk and Fairy Tales, but it looks good to me!

Sharon Wilfong said...

I am half way through the Irish Folk Tales. I have other Irish Fairy Tale books but these are all different. They were selected by Yeats, a favorite poet of mine and I am really enjoying them.

Foyle likes Hercule but Hercule has not been very friendly to Foyle, unfortunately.