Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Trial of Lizzie Borden: a true story by Cara Roberston

 I'm listening to the Sonata no. 8 by Prokofiev, performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy.

 

 Hubby cubby and I have been busy little bees these past two weeks.  After living with it for a year, we finally bit the bullet and switched my art room and the library.  Even with sky tubes, there was no view for my birds and me when I worked, which was not good since that is where I spend most of my time.  

 

Now my library has just enough light for reading. I keep my fiction here.

 


 

 

 

And now my work room has light with views, which I enjoy while working.



Even my birdies have a view.  I got a branch from the woods and propped it up in an old Christmas tree stand.

 

 

 I have another surprise but it will have to wait until next week.  (That's called a "teaser", folks.)



 

The Trial of Lizzie Borden was a good, step by step exploration of the mystery of the Borden murders.

We all know the rhyme:

Lizzy Borden took an axe
Gave her mother forty whacks
When she saw what she had done
Gave her father forty-one.

But did she? She was acquitted for the murder.

To start at the beginning:

Lizzie Borden was ironing handkerchiefs in the dining room and Maggie, the house servant, was washing windows on the top floor.

Around 11:00am, Lizzie called to Maggie to come downstairs quickly for someone killed her father. Later her stepmother was also found dead in the upstairs bedroom. Both had been murdered with an ax.

According to autopsies, and blood coagulation, the mother had been killed an hour and a half earlier than the father.

The community of River Falls, Massachusetts, was completely unprepared for such a grotesque crime. The police seemed to be the least prepared. They couldn't find the murder weapon, they found no clothes of Lizzie's that had any blood on it, and although fingerprint samples were available at the time, they refused to use them, considering them unreliable.

Friends seemed to have incriminating evidence, such as one who had a note written by Lizzie, refused to cooperate and the police refused to press the issue.

Eventually an ax head was found but without the handle. It turns out Lizzie burned a dress the next day of the murders and her statements and alibis were tenuous and contradictory.

However, all the police had to go on was circumstantial evidence.

Cara Robertson takes the reader through everyone's testimony, the events themselves and the court trial. Some of it gets a bit long, but is still interesting. I felt both the prosecutor and defense lawyers used too much speculation and subjective feelings as to how or why Lizzie Borden, a wealthy young woman, could or could not be capable of such a heinous crime.

In the end, the defense won. It took the jury barely ninety minutes to decide the Lizzie was not guilty. Apparently Lizzie's gender and station in society won the day.

But did it?

After being set free, Lizzie determined to return to her home and continue as she left off. But the support that her friends and church gave her while she was on trial eroded and she soon found herself alone.

She and her sister
Emma decided to move and bought an expensive house on an estate. Lizzie then began to show peculiarities that showed another side to her. She kept strange, bohemian friends. After a while the home life became so unsupportable for her sister that she moved away.

It also came out the Lizzie was a thief. Furniture and jewelry stores discovered she was stealing from them and refused to accept her patronage after that.

The case has been cold since 1893 and some questions will never be answered:

If Lizzie Bordon didn't kill her parents, who did? The house was securely locked. And where was the murderer hiding for an hour and a half undetected between the murders?

Was Lizzie a psychopath or temporarily insane?

What happened to the murder weapon?

We'll never know.

Or will we? Robertson mentions concealed documentation of the trial that is classified because of some ruling over 120 years old. Maybe a law can overturn the classification and the documents can be unsealed and shed new light on one of the most famous cold cases in America. 
 
 
The only books in the art room I put on the top shelf for Percy to shred.  Cheapest parrot toy ever and no more than what those authors deserve. 


 
And a hint for next week:
 
What are those things on the bottom of my art book shelves in the dining room? 
 
 

 
 
 Tune in next week to find out. Same Bat time; same Bat channel.


 
 

10 comments:

RTD said...

Free range birds? Dropping problem? Hmm...
Verdict — Lizzie guilty ....

Debbie Nolan said...

Sharon I can see why you switched rooms. A window in the studio always helps to spur one on to create.
Watched a movie with Elizabeth Montgomery who starred as Lizzie Bordon. Fascinating tale. Today it probably would be solved due to dna.
Your Percy always makes me smile. Hugs!

mudpuddle said...

wonderful photos... the book shelves look quite similar to the ones i built, except they're more creative. don't know re Lizzy; i think she was capable of it is all... nice brick work in the front yard, there...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi RT

No dropping problem because I have mats underneath where they perch and I just clean up a lot.

And I think Lizzie did it too. I think she was a psychopath.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Debbie,

Right now Percy is on my head preening me as I write this. He was a rehome and it has taken him a while to warm up to me, but lately he has been showing more affection.

Hope all is well with you. Nice to see your spring photos.

Be blessed!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle.

My husband made the shelves. I think he did a great job. My arms are still sore from moving all those books, though. I hope we will not do it again for a very long time.

I think Lizzie did it.

Thank you about the brick. It was one of the things that sold us. We no longer have a yard, although we share a field with our neighbors. We do have a garden. Josh just planted azaleas.

Carol said...

Very cryptic, Sharon. I have no idea. I thought what you photographed on the bottom shelf looked like masks.

Sharon Wilfong said...

@Carol:

Nope. Hee, hee, hee.

Carol said...

Teaser :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

@Carol:

Two more days...;)