Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Second Coming by John MacArthur



Michelangelo's "Last Judgement" Sistine Chapel

 I’ve been reading a number of books about the end times and the second coming of Jesus Christ. For years I’ve heard about futurist, milliniasts, amillianists, post millianists, historicists, spiritualists and lately preterists. A facebook friend has recently informed the rest of us that he is a hyperpreterist which kind of set me off on this journey. This book review is the fourth in a series that I will be posting of the various books I’ve been reading about the Book of Revelation and God’s final judgement on the earth.

While Hanegraaff’s book is mostly from a partial preterist stance, MacArthur seems to take a primarily futurist viewpoint. (I should point out that both Hanegraaff and MacArthur consider full or hyper preterism as heretical.) After debunking hyperpreterism in his chapters, “Why Christ Must Return,” and “Is Christ’s Coming Imminent?” he expounds on Jesus’ Olivet discourse recorded in Matthew 24 and 25 in chapter three, “Christ’s Greatest Prophetic Discourse.” This is a wonderful expository on this very important sermon Jesus gave his followers about the fall of Jerusalem- a prophecy that was fulfilled in 70 A.D.

The next couple of chapters go step by step through the gospels showing what must happen on earth to prepare for Christ’s second coming and a description of the tribulation.

MacAruthur’s next thrust is into the belly of those who believe they can know the day of Christ’s return. In his chapters “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? and “The Danger of Foolish Expectations”, he shows through scripture how it is unbiblical for anyone to assume they can predict the day when Jesus comes again. The final two chapters are about being ready like the wise virgins, not wasting the opportunity we have now to do God’s appointed work and how the final judgement is going to be when Christ separates the sheep (his followers) and the goats (nonbelievers).

The Second Coming is a highly readable, interesting and informative book about a hotly debated topic. I recommend it as an invaluable resource to anybody studying this subject.

I bought this book.




or $8.69 on Kindle




For more information:

6 comments:

Eustacia Tan said...

This sounds like an interesting book. The end times is such a difficult topic that I've started to take every thing with a pinch of salt. I agree that we can never know when the Lord will come, so for me, I think we should live our lives as though he is coming.

Man of la Book said...

While I'm not much for reading about the second coming, I do enjoy your posts immensely.

Keep up the good work.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks, Zohar!

Sharon Wilfong said...

The different viewpoints are fascinating and I think all of them have merit. However, like you, I think we need to keep the "oils in our Lamps" burning!

Ryan said...

I I have also enjoyed your reviews lately. I'm also really interested in these topics, though from an admittedly atheist perspective. I find this stuff absolutely fascinating! I'm going to pick up at least one of these apocalyptic titles soon.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Ryan: It really is fascinating. I'm almost finished with a book that goes step by step through the verses and chapters of the Book of Revelation which gives each viewpoint on what all the symbolism means. Thanks for the comment!