Sunday, October 14, 2018

Myths of Northern Lands by H. A. Guerber




 I've been fooling around with the color tools on my computer.  Here's a more vividly colored Hercule.

I thought since I was writing review a book about Northern European myths it would be appropriate to listen to a little Wagner.  Here is Ride of the Valkyries.





Myths of Northern LandsMyths of Northern Lands by H. A. Guerber

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I do not remember where I got this book, probably a book fair at a library. My copy is a vintage hardback published in 1895. It has old paintings to represent the various gods and goddesses.

Overall, I liked this book, it was highly informative and thorough in describing the origins of the Norse creation myth, of all the gods and goddesses, whom they married, and their individual fates, along the various stories and adventures each god and goddess took part in. It also narrates the origins of mythological figures such as giants, elves and dwarfs.

If someone wants an almost encyclopediac collection of every Norse God, this is the book for them. Guerber recounts the myths based on the ancient poetry they are derived from and includes several excerpts from those poems.

It includes the Sigurd Saga, in Germany known as the Ring Cycle, the Twilight of the Gods, which is the narration of the end of Norse myth and the dawn of Christianity, and finally a comparison between Norse and Greek mythology.

Reading the Sigurd Saga and also the origins of elves and dwarfs, one understands where Tolkien got his inspiration for his Lord of the Rings saga. The names and myths are very similar.

There may be more exciting versions of Norse myth, but this one certainly has its value, if for no other reason because of the time (the 19th century) in which it was written.



View all my reviews



                      Psychedelic Hercule and Lt. Foyle

19 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I think that I would eat this book up. These myths seem so interesting. The encyclopedic nature to the book makes it sound more appealing.

Hercule looks great in the vivid colors!

Sharon Wilfong said...

This is mudpuddle's comment that I accidentally deleted:

i took a course in Norse Mythology in uni and really liked it, but i've forgotten a lot of it now... but i've still got some of the Eddas and Sagas on the shelf; i'll have to drag them out... tx for the good post and the reminder...

Here's my answer:

I read the Edda Saga years ago and really liked it. I probably need to find it and reread it. I especially liked the stories of the Vikings visiting America and their contact with the Native Americans. Can you imagine these giant blond guys and short dark haired dudes seeing each other for the first time?

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hercule says, (blush) "why thank you, Brian."

You would like this book. It was published in the late 19th century so the way it is written is as interesting as the stories.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

My kids would love this. We own several Guerber books, but not this one. And my kids have a fascination with Norse mythology due to all of their mythological readings, especially LOTR. I'd snag this if I saw it somewhere, but I have a feeling it will be hard to find.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Oh, and love your experimental pics of Hercule, Foyle, and yourself. : D

Sharon Wilfong said...

I found my copy at a local library book fair. One of those serendipitous occasions.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks!:)

mudpuddle said...

i keep getting "a network change detected" so i don't know if my comment was printed or not... i'm getting that a lot for some reason... google definitely has some bugs in it...

Tim Davis said...

Have you read Icelandic sagas? I recommend them.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I'm not sure. Can you make some recommendations?

Sharon Wilfong said...

Have you commented here something I haven't read? Could you repeat it, if so?

mudpuddle said...

it was something inane, probably not worth repeating but i don't remember anyhow... (i'll see if this one will get through...)

mudpuddle said...

people hitting each other with hard objects...

Carol said...

We've used a number of Guerber's history books but not his one. I'd also snap up anything I found by this author. Have you ever read anything by Kristin Lavransdatter? She's written some epic Norwegian medieval fiction that makes you almost feel the atmosphere of those times & captures some of the old Norse beliefs etc.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Now I really want to know what it was!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Ha! Now I have to read it.

Marcia Strykowski said...

What a great find! I love hearing Tolkien talk of his study of myths and languages.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol. Why have I just now seen your comment? I've not read Lavransdatter, but she sounds interesting. I'm going to look her up.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. Me too. I've read his translation of Beowulf and really liked it.