Monday, February 4, 2019

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

Some Bach to brighten your day.

"T-shirts?"

This is my husband once again wondering about my latest fad.  Books, post cards, t-shirts.

"I love my t-shirts.  I have book shirts and bird shirts.  That's all.  Oh, and art shirts.  That's really all.  Uh, and Star Trek shirts.  That's really, really all."

And it will be all for a while.  I could wear a different shirt every day of half a month.






















NauseaNausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is the first book I read by Sartre. I had read so much about him, that when I saw this book in a shop, I decided to give him a go.

I do not know if Sartre is as powerful a writer as Camus. They both certainly know how to describe the meaningless of existence, although, Camus' Le Stranger, is more about a man who has no conscience.

Sartre's book is about a man, Antoine Roquentin, who is driving himself insane. But he does so honestly. I think if more people evaluated their life as the protagonist did, they would arrive at the same conclusion.

Nausea is written in first person narrative and we read all the frantic thoughts pulsing through Antoine's mind. He does not know why he is alive. He is a writer. Is he alive to write his book? Why does his book matter? He loved once, but his lover, Anne, is now gone. She's with someone else. Does he still love her? Did he ever love her? Or did he simply enjoy sleeping with her? He goes to see her to find out.

Many of the novel's scenes take place in a cafe, where Antoine takes his meals. He watches the other people and deconstructs their existence. One man in particular, stalks young boys. Antoine watches him, fascinated. He is repulsed but also sympathizes with the man. After all, what does it matter? Does anything matter?

He realizes that nothing does matter and the end of his existence would probably bring him final peace.

Sartre writes his protagonist's thoughts in a surreal, dreamlike, fluid style. Antoine pumps his ideas out like running water.

And he's right. If there is no God, which at the time Sartre and consequently, his Antoine, believes, what is the reason for existence? Simply to stay alive? Eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we die?

I do not know whether Sartre was exploring this possibility or whether he was expounding his own belief, but he certainly arrives at the right conclusion. If there is no God we are simply star stuff moving in one direction, until we fall away.

Needless to say, Sartre's views are the opposite of my own.



View all my reviews





12 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i think i tried this once but not very seriously, as Sartre and Camus always seemed sort of silly... if there is no point, that doesn't mean that things are meaningless... it just means that we have to try harder to do things that improve our lives and the life of the planet... no? and whatever belief system people have, eskimo's, Hindus, Zenners, or Moslems, we live on a small planet and it's in our own interests to make it a nice place... an Eden or a polluted swamp...
I think i did read the Stranger once, actually, but it didn't make much impression; interesting that you read it, tho, and admirable...

Brian Joseph said...

This was a powerful book. Though I do not believe in a God, just like Sartre, I am not pessimistic like Sartre. I always tried to find my own meaning in life. I actually had a lot of trouble relating to the main character here. Have s great week Sharon.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I understand why you would think Sartre and Camus were silly. What kind of appalls me is how their ideas took off in France and throughout Europe, as though it is a sign of intellectual prowess to ponder the meaninglessness of life. It certainly has affected European movies, which can be depressing.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian,

Supposedly Sartre recanted his atheistic stance on his death bed, but his wife Simone de Beavoir's said, "See? He's already gone insane!"

You have a good week, too.

mudpuddle said...

i meant to add but forgot: great T-shirts!!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks! I was wondering if anyone noticed (sniff).

mudpuddle said...

tx for the pc: really takes me back to the old west... love those old black and white films... Hopalong was my favorite... no wait, it was lash larue...

RTD said...

Fine review! I think Sartre’s genius lies in his ability to dramatize the possibility of no God. True genius, I think, enables one to hold these two thoughts simultaneously in life: what if God exists? what if God does not exist. Living within that paradox requires considerable courage. I am no genius but accept the paradox as reality. So did Sartre.
https://rtdsmarginaliablog.blogspot.com/

Sharon Wilfong said...

I think that people who create scenarios, as Sartre and also Camus did and also Nietzsche, offer views of life without God. Their theories reinforce my own faith.

Sharon Wilfong said...

So glad you liked it! They seem to be a favorite among my fellow postcard exchangers.

Carol said...

Hi Sharon, love your reviews & I admire your acumen in distilling an author’s worldview & it’s inevitable outcome. Nice T-shirt’s 👍

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks, Carol. I really appreciate your feeback!