Sunday, April 7, 2019

Seven Men and the Secret of their Greatness by Eric Metaxas





7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness by Eric Metaxas

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The only problem I have with this book is that each biography is brief enough to have me looking through Metaxas' bibliography to read more about his subjects.

Not that Metaxas does an incomplete job writing about these great men but because he whets your appetite.

These men are probably not going to be considered the greatest men by many and maybe some of them shouldn't but I appreciated the author's reasons for including them.

While Mr. Metaxas honestly shows the foibles of each man he shows that humans can also be great while making mistakes or wrong or even immoral decisions.

Also, Metaxas is not set out to write a thorough biography of these men but rather focus on why he believes they are great.

The first biography is of George Washington. Metaxas does not spare the young Washington who lied about the massacre of French soldiers at the hands of a couple of Indians during a diplomatic negotiation that was to hopefully stave off war between the British and French.

He also shows his bravery and his abilities as a war strategist.

But he also points out something that seems to be overlooked in every historical account of our first president.

He agreed to become our president but refused to become our King. This was unprecedented in the entire recorded history of mankind. And people did not simply go along with it. There were several leaders who were bent on making George Washington King and he had a battle to fight against them.

Another important feature about Washington has to do with his slaves. Many authors enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of a man who spent his life fighting for human freedom as described in the Constitution but not many seem inclined to admit or know that Washington freed all of his slaves before he died and left the elderly slaves with pensions.

It's easy to judge slave owners now, but how many today, of any race, in the same position would have done the same thing back then? How many of us are fighting against the slavery that still exists today throughout the African continent and the Middle East?

Wilberforce is of course included since he helped fight against slavery in England and succeeded in having it outlawed in the country seventy years before it was finally outlawed in the U.S.

Bonhoeffer is described as a radical in his own right because he refused to bend his knee to Hitler and the German Reich Church that thought it could syncretize Christianity with fascism.

He is less clear as to why he sees Pope John Paul II is great although I found his brief biography of the man interesting.

Metaxas also includes his hero and mentor Chuck Colson, the man who worked under President Nixon and went to jail only to become a Christian and start a Prison Ministry that is still serving Prisoners and their families.

One of the most inspiring was Eric Liddell. He was the Olympic gold medalist who became famous in the movie Chariots of Fire. Everyone knows his bravery in refusing to run in the Olympics on Sunday, but not many of us know how about his life as a missionary in China, where he died under Japanese occupation in a prison camp. Or that he died because when offered released gave his place to a pregnant woman and chose to remain in the camp in her stead.

But I must say my very favorite Great Man and the most inspiring to me was Jackie Robinson. Not just because he was the first black man to join a professional baseball team but because of all that he endured, how he refused to fight back and how his Christ-like practice of turning the other cheek forced white America to confront the ugliness of racism and be convicted in their hearts.

This is a highly readable book and I recommend it.



View all my reviews

12 comments:

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I do love Eric Metaxas' work. This is one I would love to read also. Have you read his tome Bonhoeffer? If not, you'll appreciate that, as well as Amazing Grace, about Wilberforce. (Sorry if I cannot remember if you have read these.) Also, Colson's biography Born Again is a great read. I think I'd like to read more about Robinson and Liddell, too. Agree that John Paul II is a surprising pick.

Brian Joseph said...

The book sounds so interesting. I agree with the points about Washington. His refusal to take absolute power after the Revolution was an incredible act of integrity and he did come around to the anti - slavery position in the end. I would like to know more about the other people in the biography. Some of them I know a little about, but just s little. I have been thinking of reading Metaxas’s full biography of Bonhoeffer.

Anchors To Windward said...

Hi again Sharon,
This sounds like a good read. I've always admired Washington, Colson, Bonhoeffer, and Robinson. I too have often wondered if my faith were tested as these great men's were, would I come through with as much integrity as they? By the way, this year 2019 would mark Jackie Robinson's 100th birthday were he still alive!

RTD said...

Indeed .... anything by Metaxis is a must read .... I'm off to the Library later yo get this book ... Thanks fir your great review ....

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth. I have read the Wilberforce and Bonhoeffer biographies. I think the Bonhoeffer one is brilliant and set the record straight about him. I have not read Colson, but I can put him on my TBR.

I would also like to get a longer biography of Liddell.

What interested me, is that Mextaxas listed John Paul II's time line, but he never explained why he thought he was great.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian. I'm with you in that I hope to uncover some good biographies of the other people Metaxas wrote about. For me his biography of Bonhoeffer is one of the best biographies I've ever read.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hello A to W! This book is good, although I think his biography of Bonhoeffer is superb.

As for faith, I have come to learn that this life is a series of tests and trials to burn off the dross, mature us spiritually, and glorify God.

Interesting about Robinson!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. I hope the book is in. You'll enjoy it.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Hmmm. Nonetheless, JPII still would be an interesting life to read about.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Oh, I agree.

Carol said...

Books like this get me on to rabbit trails. I looked up Pope John Paul II & he certainly had an interesting and traumatic life prior to becoming Pope! Maybe the fact that he was Polish & went through the Nazi occupation and later worked to bring about the fall of Communism were good reasons to include him.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol. He certainly endured a lot and also I think he was the first non-Italian pope.

However, with the other men, Metaxas was specific as to how they contributed to society. Washington with democracy; Chuck Colson's prison ministry; Jackie Robinson changing cultural attitudes about race...I did not see where the Pope did anything on this scale.

I did not realize that he helped bring about the fall to communism. At least that is not explicitly mentioned in the book.