Sunday, November 3, 2019

False Scent by Ngaio Marsh

Listening to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no. 3 or the "Rock 3" as they referred to it in the movie, "Shine" starring Geoffrey Rush.  This one is performed by Vladimir Horowitz, a personal favorite and the greatest pianist of the 20th century.


As many of you know I have just got back from Israel.  I took a ton of photos so I will impose them on you a little at a time.  Our first stop was New York city where we stayed over night.  Unfortunately it was Columbus Day so all my favorite art museums were closed.

So we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge.  I naively thought it would just be a romantic stroll, just me and my hubby.  No, there were thousands and thousands of people with us. We were practically the only ones crossing into Manhattan.  Most were coming from Manhattan into Brooklyn.  So we were an hour pushing our way through the crowds like Salmon swimming upstream, and often getting pushed into the bicycle lane, which took up half the walkway.




One aggressive cyclist growled at me to move over.  After jumping up like a startled Armadillo getting shot at, I spent a good amount of time on the bridge thinking of all the things I could have said or did to that jerk:  stuck a stick in his wheels, screamed back...instead I had to let it go.  "Let it go, let it go..."








On the Manhattan side we went to see some of my favorite buildings.  The first one is the Flat Iron Building.  I have a large photo book of it's history through the eyes of famous photographers.




Of course the Empire State Building



And also the Chelsea Hotel.


We finished the day off at a Thai Restaurant Josh had learned about on one of the many foodie videos he watches on Youtube: Kum Gang San.



And here's my hubby as we wait for the train back to Brooklyn.  We leave the next morning for the Ukraine and then Israel.  He is holding my purse as I do something I can't remember what.  As you can see he is secure in his manhood.  He said he is going to carry a "murse" (man purse) when we get to Israel.




False Scent (Roderick Alleyn, #21)False Scent by Ngaio Marsh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is the first novel I have read of Ngaio Marsh. I hesitated for a while because I had read a short story by her and was not all that impressed. This novel, however, has changed my mind dramatically.

An aging actress is having a birthday party. We meet her and the various people that play roles in her life. I will not say more than that because there are several elements of surprise. You'll have to read the book to find out who is murdered, why anyone would want to murder this person (hint: there are ample reasons, or rather one profound reason many people would be motivated to do away with this individual) and all the clues and details that add up to a well-planned and subtle executing of a crime that no one, including the reader, regrets.

I thought Marsh's writing style was outstanding. Her characters all have strong voices and convincing personalities. I relished her dialogue and narration. The mystery was fine as mysteries go and Marsh certainly deserves her place in the Golden Era of Detective Author's Hall of Fame, but it was that beautiful writing, the descriptions that packed force, but never overly described that sell this book.

Her method of allowing us to see everyone's emotions and thoughts and motives was eloquent as well as effective in moving the storyline forward.

I hope to read many more of Marsh's books.


View all my reviews

Expect more Ngaio Marsh reviews.  My husband, who loves me, won a bid on eBay acquiring all but three of her books for 25 bucks.


A postcard I sent.  A work by Joan Miro.

9 comments:

mudpuddle said...

wonderful postcard! i class NM's books among the best mysteries i've ever read... a lot of courage you all have, venturing into people laden places like that... interesting photos... V. Horowitz is certainly a fine pianist... i listened to his playing quite a bit when i was being a musician... many years ago...

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

Hey, welcome back! Some wonderful photos of New York but I can't wait to see Israel!

I read Ngaio Marsh when I was in my teens and loved her mysteries. I'm glad to see the five stars on this one. I can't wait to read her again. Now I just have to get to reading, which I haven't been good at lately. November is the time to focus! Hope you have a good one!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon- Welcome home. It sounds as if your trip started out good. New York is such a great place to explore. I am about an hour and a half away from the City and have spent lots of time doing so over the years.

Marsh sounds like a good writer. Of course some novelists are fantastic short story writers. But short stories can be so hit and miss that it is hard to judge a writer by reading one.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle!

I am very glad to finally read Marsh's books. This one was excellent. You say back when you were being a musician. I would say, "Once a musician, always a musician."

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleo!

I hope to read many more Marsh novels. It's hard to focus on reading when so many other things pull at us. But I can't go to sleep unless I read, although with jet lag, I'm falling asleep pretty easily.

I promise photos of Israel next time.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. You say you're an hour and a half from New York City. It's funny, but I thought being in Brooklyn we would just hop and skip over to Manhattan, but it took a half hour bus just to get us to the train that took us to the Brooklyn Bridge. It was worth it, though. One of my favorite cities.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Your husband is in the best place (NYC) to be secure in his manhood. He fit right in, I'm sure, under those circumstances.
Looking forward to hearing about and seeing pictures from your travels to Israel.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth! I have tons of photos. It was a life changing experience. Everyone who is a Christian needs to go at least once in their life.

Have you all left California yet?

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Personally, the thought of NYC fills me w/ anxiety. I hope I never have to go back again. I agree....visit...once, unless you thrive in chaos. But I never want to go back. I can't even handle Los Angeles.

About leaving...we're still here. We cannot even make plans until my husband graduates. He has three classes left, and he hopes to double up in winter so he may graduate by June. Otherwise, he would have to graduate the following winter, and then we won't be making plans until 2021. But I think he wants to take a trip next summer to check out Texas. We're zeroing in on suburbs of Austin. I'm so concerned w/ the HEAT. Me, living in the California desert, is worried about the heat! Is it really that bad?