Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude


Here is some lovely music to read by:  Liszt in Love.

On the 4th of July I left Texas for Florida.  Passing Jackson Mississippi, I saw their fireworks display, which I appreciated.  I hate missing out on the beautiful fireworks.

The reason I left on the 4th was so I could stay through to the 11th, and celebrate with my parents in their 63rd wedding anniversary.

My mother cannot walk independently, but that did not slow us down.  We simply wheeled her around in the wheel chair.  We went to several areas where we could enjoy the water.






I also wheeled her around neighborhoods that she and I both walked through and talked, back when we were both younger.










In the evenings I read to them.  I finished three of the Narnia Chronicles, plus read a ghost story I wrote.  My mom said she enjoyed it.  I know she's my mother, but I think she would tell me if it wasn't any good.  My dad said I started to many sentences with the word, "I".  He was right.  I set about correcting that.

I think for 83 and 84 years of age, they haven't done too badly.  They don't get tired of telling how they met at Carswell AFB in Ft Worth, fresh out of tech training while they were still teenagers.  They married at the ages of 20 and 21 and have stuck it out through the lovely times and the rough patches. I have the greatest respect and love for my parents.








The Cornish Coast Murder (Inspector Bigswell)The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the sort of book that is considered a nice, comfortable mystery to read on a rainy day. Life got really busy so there were gaps between the days I was able to read, so this book took a little longer to finish and I'm afraid I may have forgotten key events or characters. It also may be that they were a little hard to keep track of, but I think it's my fault, not the author's.

A vicar and a doctor meet Monday nights for dinner and sharing stories. Together they pay for a monthly package of mysteries to share. This evening is interrupted by an emergency at a local neighbor's house. They both arrive to find the neighbor, Julius Tregathan, lying dead in his living room. He has been shot through the head.

The shots came from outside, there were three although only one hit its mark, the holes through the window being discernible.

As the story progresses, we get to know the kind of man Tregarthan was and also who would have the motive to murder him.

This story was rather a slow burner, but I really appreciated how we get to try to figure out who murdered the man and why as the Inspector and Chief build up first one, then another, and then yet another theory as to who committed the murder, how they committed it and why. The continual evolution of their theories as new data enters the picture is probably the most interesting part of the book.

I believe I will be reading more of John Bude.



View all my reviews

12 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

How wonderful to celebrate your parents sixty three years together. That time will be remembered I am sure and treasured in the years to come. If my dad was still here they would have been married sixty five this coming Dec. The book sounds good Sharon. As always I love the music you select for our enjoyment. Hugs!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie, sorry to hear about your father's passing. Did he pass this year?

I know the time is not forever with my parents so I enjoy each moment with them.

God bless!

mudpuddle said...

very nice that you could time with them: they look like real people... it looks flat there; i've read several Budes and enjoyed them; this one included i think, it sounds familiar... he was another Golden Ager, and an effective writer imo anyhow... don't forget your mask...

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon- It sounds like you had a nice stay. Reading to others can be very fulfilling.

The Cornish Coast Murder sounds like a fun and fulfilling read. My wife might really like it. I will mention it to her.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

What a sweet story you have to tell about your folks. Does it take you long to drive from Texas to Florida? The reason I ask is because I hope to be able to easily drive to Sarasota to visit my dad, if we ever get to Texas.

I also think I may need to hit you up for some mystery suggestions for my 12-year old. She loves mystery (not scary) and I am the last person to give her suggestions. She's read all of Nancy Drew and now she's on Sherlock Holmes. And that's all I know.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle,

I never thought of Florida as flat but compared to the Pacific Rim, I suppose so. There's so many trees and everything surrounded by water, I never noticed. Water and mountains. I love both. I've told you my mother is from the northwest. I've gotten to climb Mt. Rainier and even drive a ways up Mt. St. Helen. Mountains are so wonderful. I've learned this week while sitting near the water with my parents, that I cannot be in a bad mood surrounded by nature, whether it's the ocean or the Rockies. (I'm thinking of time I spent in Estes Park).

This is my second Bude. I hope to read more of him.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian, I don't know if you and your wife read out loud to each other, but Josh and I really enjoy it. Maybe it'd get you interested in mysteries.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth,

The good news is that my parents live on the Gulf Coast, an hour into Florida. The bad news is that it is still ten hours from my house, on the border of Louisiana to their house.

From California to Sarasota, I would look into some motels, unless you and your family are just beasts for road trips. If so, will still be a fun trip.

If you happen to stop or take a rest in East Texas, maybe we can meet up for dinner. I'd even invite you over, if that's not too forward from someone you've never met in person. Josh loves to barbecue.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Sorry, Ruth, didn't address the last part of your comment. Let me think about mysteries that are age appropriate. Not that I read R rated books, but some stories, especially from the fifties and earlier have a rather "dated" attitude toward women.

Dorothy Sayers, G.K. Chesterton, and Josephine Tey, all Christians, would be a good start, and their stories are as good as anything I've read. Also Roy Vickers, the inventor of the inverted mystery is very good, but hard to find.

Now that I'm thinking of it, there are a ton of old fashioned mystery stories in public domain. They stories are very good, clean and old fashioned in that it is the Victorian attitude toward women, but fun.

Let me look on my Kindle for some names.

RTD said...

Respect and love: that’s beautiful.
I should think every parent would cherish such sentiments.
Best wishes ....

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI RT

I think my parents and I especially cherish our time together now because I did not always show them the respect they deserved when I was younger and more self-centered, so it's really precious to me to finish well with them.

Carol said...

Lovely to read about your parents, Sharon. I also love the fact that you read aloud to them!
I’ve enjoyeda couple of books by John Bude. My favourite is Death Makes a Prophet which was very funny in places.