Sunday, December 20, 2020

Travel and Trade in the Middle Ages by Paul B. Newman

 

 I hope you will enjoy these Christmas Carols sung by a German Boys Choir.

 


 

This is an excellent record of how people traded and traveled in side their countries and to other countries. I think that this book concisely and yet thoroughly covers every topic.

Newman starts off with the various sorts of people who traveled, from royalty to peasant to the rising merchant class and their reasons for traveling and their various modes of transportation. In the process we get a good history of the different classes, cultures and religious beliefs of Medieval Europe.

He records the development of charity houses, hospices, hospitals by nuns and monks and the later rise of secular inns. We learn that staying in an inn was far different than now. Privacy wasn't available, at least for anyone not rich.

Newman also records the dangers from bandits to wild animals and also disease.

We learn the different modes of transportation from horses, every kind of horse, as well as other animals and man made constructs. Newman describes the different ways roads were constructed. He often hearkens back to Roman times and how Roman roads affected the medieval form of travel.

The last part of this section deals with the problem of language barriers and how this barrier was overcome. Even then they had phrase books of essential forms of communication. It is interesting to note that the clergy and educated spoke and read Latin and were the two groups of people who could communicate with similarly educated people across Europe and often served as translators for others.

What interests me is that I know the translating of the Bible in English and in German standardized those languages for the British Isles and the German Kingdoms, enabling greater communication and consequently travel for the average person. Ironically, Latin was originally that universal language starting in Roman times and devolved into an "elite" or even "secret, mystical" language for the educated few. I guess illiterate, isolated people were easier to keep under a leader's thumb.

The second section is about traveling by sea from the different sort of ships and boats available to land marks, such as lighthouses, to the use of both astronomy and astrology.

I found this book to be highly engaging and informative. Even though I checked it out of the library, I may buy my own copy to keep as a reference source. 
 
Merry Christmas!

14 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - I think that I would get a lot out of this book. Based on your description it sounds like it is filled with interesting and useful information.

I can never get enough of this time period.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian!

This is a very good and informative book. I got it from my library so hopefully your library would have it as well, although, it'd be a great book to keep.

Merry Christmas!!

mudpuddle said...

i note your ongoing interest in the middle-east: fascinating place it is! this sounds like an informative intro to its history. i often wonder when reading historical works what the living conditions were actually like and it seems like this book answers some of those questions: a valuable resource, apparently... anyway, thanks a lot for the original card, it was much appreciated. i hope and trust you and your family have a joyous and fruitful holiday season!

RTD said...

Merry Christmas to you, your family, and your many blog visitors .... yes, you too Mudpuddle ....

Sharon Wilfong said...

It's true, mudpuddle. I have seasons of interest in specific subjects and I read everything I can on the subject.

Glad you liked the card. I'm glad it arrived. And I wish all the best joy and peace to you and your family.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Merry Christmas, R.T.! God bless!

Cleo said...

I have a number of books on the Middle Ages but not this one. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the review and may you have a wonderful Christmas!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleo!

What books do you have and what would you recommend?

Have a very blessed Christmas and New Year!

Cleo said...

I have:

A Distant Mirror
The History of the Medieval World (Susan Wise Bauer)
Ecclesiastical History of the English People
A Medieval Family
Women in the Middle Ages
Mysteries of the Middle Ages (Thomas Cahill)
and the Folio Society five volume set: The Birth of the Middle Ages, The Making of the Middle Ages, The Crucible of the Middle Ages, The High Middle Ages and The Waning of the Middle Ages

I think I have even more.

I would recommend the Bauer book for an overview, and the Cahill book (although I haven't read it, he's well-respected) and I'm really looking forward to the Folio Society books!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks so much. I'll look all these books up, especially the Bauer and Cahill.

RTD said...

A Distant Mirror is excellent!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Good to know. Thanks, R.T.

Carol said...

I like the sound of this one, Sharon. Hope you had a great Christmas. After my comment on things opening up here we had another outbreak just before Christmas so some of the borders are closed again. We were planning a trip north to QLD but that’s not happening now. Anyhow, we’ve got off very lightly compared to so many other countries. Hope you & your family are well. X

Stephen said...

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. Medieval social history is always appealing!