Monday, April 12, 2021

Fatal Descent by John Rhode and Carter Dickson

Here's some Liszt.

 Here are some cards I've been working on for spring.



 


 And here is Herr von Ringneck plotting his next nefarious scheme. "They'll never find the bodies buried under the Azalea Bushes...hoo hoo ha, ha, ha!"





 

This was a blistering good mystery. I had no idea what to expect and there were surprises at every turn. Not even close to predicting the ending even when the authors seemed to be leading up to a certain culprit...bam...surprise!

Lots of shady and lovable characters. Nobody's who you think they are.

The whole story takes place in a publishing house. I won't tell you who is murdered or even how. Needless to say someone is and in a seemingly impossible way. Another "locked room" mystery, except it's not in a locked room. But I won't tell you where. I don't want to spoil anything for all you who would want to read this and I would think every crime mystery fan would want to.

One thing I'll reveal: A Doctor who specializes in psychology and a Homicide Detective work together to solve the problem. I especially liked how everyone was treated with respect and there were no straw man (usually buffoonish policemen, which I hate). It made a nice story with characters I could sympathize with and respect.

OK, the one female character was annoying, but it furthered the plot, so, whatever. 
 
 
Meanwhile Josh is worried that Furry Little Maurice might be the guilty party who buried tiny little pellets under the blanket next to his head.

 

4 comments:

mudpuddle said...

john dickson carr had a few pseudonyms; his locked room mysteries are great! i haven't read this one but it really sounds like i ought to...obviously Josh has an affinity for four legged beasties, haha... Herr von Ringneck has something in mind, i can tell!

your paintings have a very Chinese look: nice!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle! This was a fun read. Actually it is Josh's love for me that he puts up with all my critters. He did not have pets growing up. Yes Hercule can look quite sinister at times.

Thank you for the compliment on my paintings. It's true that I'm inspired by Asian art.

Debbie Nolan said...

You got me hooked Sharon - will be searching the library bookshelf for this one. As for Hercule - I think he knows much more than he is sharing :). Looks like you have a good man who is willing to overlook those bunny pellets. Have a super weekend. Hugs!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie,

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. We were getting warmer but we are now back the in rainy 50s. Which is fine by me. It'll get sweltering soon enough.

Hope you can find this book.

Between piggy pellets and bird poop, I am always cleaning. Whew!