Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Poor Mouth by Flann O'Brian; translated by Patrick C. Power



 Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day


Today's review is about an Irish writer so I thought it apt to listen to Rocky Road to Dublin performed here by The Dubliners.  You may recognize it as the song played in the Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr. during the boxing scene. And after that why not listen to them sing, Whiskey in the Jar (not remotely resembling the Metallica Version).



The Poor Mouth: A Bad Story about the Hard LifeThe Poor Mouth: A Bad Story about the Hard Life by Flann O'Brien

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is the second novel I have read by Flann O'Brian. I'm trying to think how I discovered him. I know it was by accident, looking for one author, came across him, perhaps on eBay or the book exchange club I belonged to. I have discovered a lot of authors that way. For me discovering new authors (that I like, mind you) is comparable to archeologists machete-ing their way through the jungle and arriving at the ruins of some unknown civilization.

Well, that's probably an extravagant comparison, but I do get excited when I discover new authors.

Flann O'Brian was an Irish writer who is considered a key figure in post-modern literature. The first book I read by him, At Swim-Two Birds, was strange and hard to follow. Whether I caught on to his surreal style or not, I found The Poor Mouth comprehensible and quite funny.

The Poor Mouth is a story about a young Irish boy and his coming of age in Ireland. He lives with his mother, his grandfather, whom he refers to as the Grey Fellow or the Old Man, and a herd of pigs, all in the same hovel. Yes, the pigs live inside the house.

The book was written in Irish Gaelic and later translated by Patrick C. Power. The title comes from an Irish expression, "an béal bocht a chur ort" ("to put on the poor mouth") which means to exaggerate one's hard circumstances.

The protagonist, Bonaparte O'Coonassa, tells us about his hard life, starting with his birth. We see his grinding poverty, the hardship of his mother and grandfather, and yet also their humor and wit in dealing with all bad situations.

All the characters are colorful and we learn some Gaelic customs that are performed at birth, marriage and death-all of which involve more than a little drinking (surprise, surprise). We meet the woman he marries and his baby, both of which die soon after being introduced into the story.

Really, the timeline is not interesting at all, it is how O'Brian tells the story. It is really very funny and each trial O'Coonassa encounters takes on a surreal experience because of its absurdity.

He lightly mocks the Gaelic lovers who come from Dublin to learn the real language but soon leave because they can't abide the impoverished conditions of this tiny Irish country (it is called Corkadoragha). He less lightly mocks the assault on the Irish language and customs when, as a boy, he is made to go to school and beaten because he has not conformed to a more Anglicized version of his culture.

In the end he must go to prison for murdering someone (which he did not do, he just came across the body and took his gold seeing as the dead man would no longer need it). While entering the prison a man is leaving after a thirty year sentence. It is his father. They meet for the first time, hug and promise to meet again when the son is free, which will be in another thirty years. The good news is that he will no longer be starving.

I cannot capture the color or the humor in the rich story of Irish parody. I suggest you read the story for yourself.



View all my reviews


15 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

O'Coonassa...??? c'mon.... i read at swim-two-birds and couldn't make anything out of it either. this one sounds better, although irish humor tends to leave me cold... when young i went through a Clancy Brothers(w. Tommy Makem) period; i saw them live once in San Francisco... entirely associated with abuses of liquid substances, so watch out...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hello Mudpuddle. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that found At Swim-Two-Birds rather cryptic.
Irish humor is quite witty but it can be depressing because of the harsh circumstances the Irish have endured to so many years.

I also went through a heavy fling with Celtic music in the nineties. I watched Riverdance over and over again. I read Celtic folklore and could not get enough of the folk music. I haven't really listened much in the past decade but I guess reading O'Brian is a bit of a renaissance.

I suppose it's impossible for live performances to not be enhanced by mind altering substances, which is why I don't go. Unless it's a cafe with good coffee...my drug of choice...

Cleo said...

This sounds like a gem! I normally avoid modern authors but perhaps he's worth a look. And I love your comparison! Very apropos!

Brian Joseph said...

I like your archeology comparison. It is such a good feeling when one discovers a new and enjoyable author.

As for the timeline being not so interesting, I find that I enjoy a lot of books that have minimal or incidental plot but are strong on things like prose, storytelling or characters. As I get a little older I find that I am appreciating this kind of book more and more.

Have a great weekend Sharon.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Cleopatra. I know what you mean about avoiding modern authors. Actually I like the ones from the first half of the twentieth century. It's "best sellers" that I don't bother with. Too much sex, violence and language and too little plot,character development and power of language.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. I exactly agree with you. I have learned that it isn't so much exciting plot development but rather how the author masters the language. There's something about reading powerful turns of phrase and expression that opens up the mind and takes us to a higher level.

Hope you have a good weekend, too!

Carol said...

Whisky in the Jar!! Love the Dubliner’s version & thanks for the link to Rocky Road to Dublin. I hadn’t heard that one before.

Anonymous said...

Fun music choices and your Valentine flowers are beautiful! I had to look up Flann O'Brian, sounds like he had a rough life and was influenced by James Joyce, no surprise there. Thanks for introducing me to so many writers I would otherwise miss out on.

Tom said...

Sharon,Declan Kiberd has an insightful section on O'B and The Poor Mouth in "Inventing Ireland." Very readable Lit Crit. Also highly recommend Anthony Cronin's bio, "No Laughing Matter: The Life and Times of Flann O'Brien." Cronin knew O'B personally, but doesn't let that get in way of presenting a candid but even-handed view of the man's life and work. And Cronin is a fine writer himself. Well worth looking up. Since you've come this far with O'B, you really should read his "The Third Policeman," which many consider his finest work. (As Cronin explains, O'B himself came to view "At Swim" as a juvenile work.) Cheers, Tom McGohey (from Goodreads)

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Carol! I love the Dubliners!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Tom! Thanks for visiting me blog. I have the complete novels of O'Brian in one volume. I have heard that the Third Policeman is his best so with your recommendation that will be next O'Brian.

I also will look up the other books. I love reading biographies of the authors I read and I certainly could use as much insight as possible on The Poor Mouth.

I think I would like Inventing Ireland. Have you read "How the Irish Saved Civilization?" That's quite a good read as well.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I meant "thanks for visiting MY blog. I should proof read before hitting "publish".

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. Funny you should mention Joyce. I think O'Brian liked Joyce but he also resented being overshadowed by him. He once said, "I declare to God if I hear that name Joyce one more time I will surely froth at the gob."

Mudpuddle said...

i thought it was intentional, as it's more Irish that way! haha....

Sharon Wilfong said...

True...:)