Thursday, February 8, 2018

What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933 by Joseph Roth



My score of Schubert's Little A

As I was writing this, Franz Schubert's "Little" A major, D. 664, 1st mvt - Allegro moderato came on the radio.  I played this piece for my college Senior Recital and also used it as an audition piece for graduate school.  Here, Giuseppe Mentuccia performs it.


Joseph Roth is famous for his historical fiction novel, The Radetsky March, an epic saga about the Hungary-Austrian Empire just prior to WWI.  I have this book and will review it in the future.

What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933 by Joseph Roth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


 These brief chapters are written as though Roth had a Go Pro camera strapped to his forehead. He describes all the sights, sounds, smells and people he sees as he walks through the streets, shops, bath houses, police stations and morgues of Berlin in the years between the World Wars.

He starts with the Jewish Quarter, then takes us to see the homeless. He describes the modernization of Berlin with the development of skyscrapers and architecture. This was written in the early 1920s. Little could he realize that any further development would come to a standstill for the next eighty years when East Berlin became part of a Soviet Bloc country.

Roth describes bourgeoisie and Bohemians and amusement parks and museums.

He ends with foreshadowing the rumblings of the rise of Hitler and makes some acute observations about the capitulation of the Protestant and Catholic churches and the ousting of Jews. He asks, do these "Christians" not realize that Hitler is murdering Christ when he murders the people who produced Him?

He makes an interesting comment about President Hindenburg. Hindenburg bragged that he never read a book. Roth comments, if someone doesn't read, is book burning far behind? He also asserts that the majority of the German literati were Jewish.

When the Nazis rose to power, Roth left for Paris in 1933. He lived there until his death in 1939. He drank himself to death, due to his disillusionment and hopelessness over the condition of his beloved Germany.

It's too bad. If he could have held out, he would have seen Hitler's ultimate demise and the fall of the Reich six years later.



View all my reviews

12 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

lovely sonata; Mentuccia has i nice light touch... Schubert's chamber music often brings me the smells and sights of spring...
What an awful time that was, an infinite number of tragedies, all because of one man... hope it never happens again...

Brian Joseph said...

I have heard about this book over the years. I like your description of the style with the Go Pro camera analogy. Most chronicles of early Nazi Germany seem interesting and important.

RTD said...

And if he hadn’t died in 1939, think of the horrors he would have witnessed. Of course, no one drinks o excess for only one reason. I’m an authority on that subject. Hmmm.

Carol said...

Sound fascinating, Sharon. His name looks familiar for some reason but aim sure I’ve never read anything by him It’s frightening to think how the churches were so blinded by Hitler. I didn’t realise go pros were around back then.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle! My copy of Schubert's sonatas has a yellow cover and I don't know why but it causes me to associate his Sonata in A with lemon but pleasantly so, not sour. Just refreshing. I guess I'm a little weird.

What happened then was so tragic and I like reading books not only about that time period but also what was happening before in order to hopefully acquire a better understanding as to how it happened.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. I think that time period is very interesting and also important because it is so tragic. Have a good weekend.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. You're right and those that witnessed it and survived can be divided into two categories. I just found out today that someone I've known for years has had a drinking problem and I never suspected. It makes me very sad. I hope that you are doing well in that area. Take care and God bless!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol. I have only discovered Roth because I read a book review about him in my paper. He is really a very good writer and I'm enjoying him.

They did not have go pros then I was comparing his writing style, recording everything he saw, as if he had a go pro. Have a great weekend!

RTD said...

Sharon, a Higher Power saved me from Roth’s fate 25 years ago, and I have since then taken life one day at a time.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I know Who that higher power is, R.T. I'm so glad!!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful piano piece. It must bring back so many memories for you. I find it fascinating and a bit sad to think of those who lived long before us and all they missed out on, such as Roth who would have loved to see beautiful Germany as it is today.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Marcia. I agree about Roth. It is tragic. This music is very beautiful. I was thinking that I should work it back up again for my personal listening pleasure.