Sunday, August 19, 2018

Stonewall Jackson: The Good Soldier by Allen Tate

From a swing my mother and I were sitting on at Boggy Bayou, a little finger full of water that splinters off of Choctawhatchee Bay.  I miss those afternoons, but I'm glad to be back home with my hubby huggy bear.
I am in Texas, but I still dream of Florida.

I have been listening to Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin, but with a new twist.  The American jazz pianist, Schickeria, played the cadenza.  It was a live performance on the radio and I cannot find it on YouTube which is a shame because I have never heard a more fantastic cadenza than the one Schickeria played.  However, here is a recording with, I think, the composer at the piano.




This is the second book I read out loud to my mother when I was visiting my parents.  We did not quite finish it before I had to return to Texas so I read the final chapters to her over the phone as Derek and I were driving through Mississippi.


Stonewall Jackson: The Good SoldierStonewall Jackson: The Good Soldier by Allen Tate

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This biography of Stonewall Jackson is a worthy read in a couple of ways.

One, the background and description of the battles, even though from a Southern perspective, are accurate and informative.

Tate's description of Stonewall Jackson is even handed, even though Jackson is a somewhat mysterious figure about which not a whole lot is known.

What makes this book interesting, as long as it doesn't offend you, is that it was written in 1927 by the poet Allen Tate in an attempt to renovate the reputation of the South and make a defense for their war.

Tate is a Southerner through and through so while his facts are clear and accurate and his description of Jackson not gushing nor even particularly flattering, his opinions as to the outcome of various battles probably differ than most people's today.

His terminology is slanted toward a legitimate Secession. He refers to Jefferson Davis as "President Davis" and Lincoln as "The Northern President." He faults Davis for losing the war for the South as well as a few Generals he felt were over complacent. He thinks Jackson is eccentric but effective, most of the time.

The only person in his biography with which he finds no fault is General Robert E. Lee.

People looking for a complete record of the Civil War will be disappointed as this historical record ends with Jackson's unexpected death in 1963, two years before the war ended.

Needless to say I disagree with the author's attitude but I think it is invaluable to read this dated piece of historical record in order to remember and understand the attitudes and culture of a past time.

I look forward to reading S.C. Gwynne's Rebel Yell and compare the two biographies of this fascinating historical figure, who I may say, had he lived, might have turned the war around. In my opinion, as much as I respect Jackson's abilities; I think our country benefited from his death.



View all my reviews




10 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I would like to read this. As you know I love history. Though I know a fair amount about the civil war I know less about it then other aspects of American history. I know little about Jackson. I have seen SC Gwyeene’s book around and it looks very good.

Mudpuddle said...

it's really nice of you to read to your mom... us oldsters appreciate those things a lot... i never got a chance to play Rhapsody in Blue, but i recall practicing the solo in the beginning. for some reason i associate it with the Nielsen clarinet concerto which i never got to perform, either... oh well, a long time ago, now...
The Jackson sounds quite entertaining: it's a pleasure sometimes to read works out of the standard repertoire; i do that quite a bit.... all i know of Jackson is that he was a mover in the Battle of New Orleans, and that probably from the song which rattles thru my brain pan occasionally... anyway, interesting post, tx...

Sharon Wilfong said...

I have Gwynne's book and plan to read it soon.

I'd be interested in your take on this particular bio just because it is so dated in its outlook. The author was openly racist.

Sharon Wilfong said...

I love reading out loud to my mother. We did that for years even before she became legally blind.

I have not performed RiB either. Of course for me it would have been the piano part. I had a friend who won a competition and got to play with the New Orleans Symphony. Good times...

The Jackson you're thinking about is Andrew Jackson. He was the cantankerous president that served in the 1830s and probably promoted policies that helped lead to the secession (not intentionally, but through stubborness).

Stonewall Jackson is a lessor known General of the Civil War. I mean little is known of his life. Not lesser known in that he was the greatest military leader of the Civil War and if he hadn't been killed by a freak accident, I'm not sure the north would have won.

Mudpuddle said...

how did i get to be 75 and not know that?? i'm mildly shocked! i've always thought they were the same person! well, never too old to learn something, i guess... many tx for the enlightenment!

Sharon Wilfong said...

That's OK. I just learned that there are two Queen Marys. Mary Queen of Scots and the English Queen "Bloody" Mary. I think because they were both Catholic I got confused.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Interesting! (My kids and I are covering the Civil War this year, so I'm open to all kinds of biographies. I have one on Jackson for the kids by Jean Fritz.) I hardly know anything about Jackson, so I look forward to learning more about him.

It's so sweet that you read to your mom, and on the phone, too.

Sharon Wilfong said...

This is a good biography and because the world view of the author is singularly Southern from a certain epoch, it would make good conversation for discussion.

Marcia Strykowski said...

I love Rhapsody in Blue, one of my favorites. Such an amazing composer. That's great how you were able to finish reading to your mom while traveling, good idea. I can see how reading a biography from 1927 would bring a more realistic approach to how people were thinking at that time. Nice that you and your son had time together, too.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia, it was a precious time with family. I hope that the Shickeria version will be put on Youtube because his jazz version of the cadenza was astounding.

I think it is important to remember how people thought in order to better understand historical events.