Sunday, August 26, 2018

Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys


I guess I am on a Violin Concerto kick these days.  Here is Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61: I. Allegro ma non troppo by New York Philharmonic Orchestra.  The soloist is Hilary Hahn.  I am just becoming acquainted with her playing.  I think she displays a controlled power tempered by a refined and polished technique.




 This is the third book by Algis Budrys I have read but it won't be the last.  I have a few to go.  

The reason is because Josh and I were visiting one of our favorite bookstores, Gladewater Books.  

Let me interrupt myself here and say that Gladewater is a rinky dink town, twenty minutes west of my home with a population of 6, 427 and I'm pretty sure that includes everybody's dogs.  But they have a fabulous bookstore (and about a million antique stores, if you're interested).  The owner and his wife are both lawyers.  He was a prosecution attorney in Houston and came to Gladewater to relax.  He picked the right place.  If you have high blood pressure, move to Gladewater.

But as I said, it boasts of a wonderful bookstore run by this retired attorney and his wife, who is not retired which probably takes the stress off of trying to stay in business.

Recently they hired a young girl who knows where every single book you've ever wanted is in the bookstore.  And that's saying a lot because there's a lot of books.

Anyway, I had just read Algis Budrys' marvelous "Who?" and was eager to get my hands on more of Budrys' books.  The girl, who is maybe almost intrusively friendly, asked if I needed help.  Usually I like to browse without a store clerk following me around begging to help me, but this time I asked,

"Have any Algis Budrys?"

She ran off so fast I thought I had offended her, but shortly she came back with a pile of old paperbacks and handed them to me.  

And that, folks, is why I now own quite a few Budrys and you will be reading the reviews of all of them before the year is out.

While "Who?" was very good, the second, "Michaelmas", was a bit of a bore.  Budrys can get bogged down in minutiae, which really does not propel the plot.  I would place "Some Will Not Die" above Michaelmas and below "Who?"  The review below will hopefully tell why.

Some Will Not DieSome Will Not Die by Algis Budrys

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read this book to my husband as we were traveling from Virginia Beach to Washington D.C. I think if I was not reading this to Josh I would have given up on it. However, I am glad I finished it because the story was not without merit. I will briefly describe the plot, what I liked and what I didn't like.

A plague has hit America and the country is plunged into a culture of barbarism. Everyone is out for themselves, pillaging and looting and killing or being killed.

In New York City, Matthew Garvin is one man who struggles to survive, even killing his best friend (which is understandable because his friend wanted to eat him). He stumbles across a woman who is trying to steal medicine out of an abandoned pharmacy for her father. Garvin and the girl team up, cover each other for snipers on the roofs of buildings.

They finally reach the apartment but the father dies anyway. Garvin lives with the young woman and together they manage to scrape out a living.

One day, the encounter their neighbors and risk getting to know them. They team up and with the leadership of his neighbor, Gustav Berendsten, they eventually unite with all the tenants of their building. This leads ultimately to uniting with other apartments, which inevitably leads to turf and power wars. Berendsten wants to unite all people and he ruthlessly attempts it after building a powerful army which fights other factions.

The story jumps back and forth between prologues which are in the future and the past. Each new section takes place with a different generation. We see that America develops from tribal warfare, to gentry that fights with other towns to people eventually learning to live civilly with each other.

I liked how Budrys kept the story growing and not stagnate. We see multiple generations and how they differ from their forefathers. Budrys writes convincing, powerful characters that are worth reading about.

I did not like the detailed information about war strategy. It was just too mundane for me. However, Josh did like that so hopefully I provided everyone with enough information to decided whether this book is for them.



View all my reviews
 


14 comments:

RTD said...

Hmm. You introduce me to yet another author about whom I know nothing. You’re such an eclectic reader .... always surprising me .... so, thank you, Sharon.
FYI .... new digs with new plan in aftermath of surgery at Mayo in JAX (best medical experience in the world)
https://rtscommonplaceblog.blogspot.com/

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. nice to hear from you. You would enjoy Budrys if you like Vintage Sci Fi.

I am glad your surgery went well. Thanks for including your blog address. I was trying to find your blog last night without success.

Debbie Nolan said...

So glad you shared this review...I probably would pass on it because I am not a huge fan of sci-fi - my brother would like it though...so will have to tell him to check it out. Hope your August is going good.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie, thanks. I hope your brother gets a chance to read Budrys.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon- Great review. I tend to love these civilization has collapsed type stories. This sounds like a good one. The structure of this, covering different generations seems fairly unique. Budry sounds like a good writer.

I also love to peruse used bookstores. I wish that there were more around.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. Thanks. You would like this one and it is very well done. I would not have normally got into it but I'm glad I did. It turned out to be very interesting.

We have quite a few independent bookstores around here. It's a favorite hobby of mine, to go to used bookstores.

Mudpuddle said...

interesting choices... i read some Budrys years ago, but it's been to long to remember them... our local library booksale is coming up in a couple of weeks; i'll see if they have any... that's a great concerto and Ms. Hahn is an excellent performer: i recall hearing a performance of hers at some point but i don't remember when... i've been doing a lot of that lately: not remembering, that is...

Carol said...

Fun review, Sharon. I had a laugh at your ‘Matthew Garvin is one man who struggles to survive, even killing his best friend (which is understandable because his friend wanted to eat him).‘ I think that would be my reaction, too. Nice Christian lady that I am.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Well, Carol, it's best not to engage in certain hypothetical situations. Every time I watch Catherine Tate play a high school student on her show I think, "If I was her teacher I would be in jail and they would still be looking for her body."

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle. I know what you mean about memory. I'm reading a few books about how our memory operates and I'm pretty sure my short term is practically non-existent.

Marcia Strykowski said...

I always enjoy your music selections and backstories as much as your reviews. Hilary Han is excellent (and I love her cheery dress choice)!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. Yes, she is really a classy performer all round.

Jeannette said...

I have been listening some to Hillary Hahn too and appreciate her much.
I don't know how to read sci-fi fi...just never was drawn in.
Happy belated birthday and I am glad for you your birdie came home and you got a new baby. I liked the image you described of a woman with open arms welcoming her pet to trust and come to safety...neighborhoods need more such scenes...

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Jeanette, sci-fi is not my favorite but I enjoy reading it with my husband since he likes it.

Thanks for the birthday congrats. It is a fond memory now, my bird in the tree trying to get the courage to jump off and come down to me. I'm so glad he's home!!