Sunday, July 7, 2019

Barcelona by Robert Hughes

I have become addicted to a show on Youtube and I cannot stop binge watching it.  It's called "What's My Line?"  John Charles Daly hosts it and there is a panel of  regular celebrities who were quite famous at the time.

What do I like?  How courteous and civil and blessedly free from any kind of political rant the show was.  Their dress and demeanor were classy and, while the mystery guest was normally someone famous,  the other guests were ordinary people with interesting occupations.  Some of them were quite impressive.  There was a quaint elderly lady who looked just like granny from Bugs Bunny who was a tiger trainer.  Another was a woman who was a foreign correspondent, something new at the time.  

They also had one of the Buckingham Palace guards and the inventor of the hula hoop. There was a Navy man who tested parachutes (by jumping out of planes in them!) and an Army man who was a deep sea diver to recover derelict ships.

My favorites were when the mystery guest was Salvador Dali and another time Frank Lloyd Wright.

As for the panel's personal lives?  I looked them all up.  They stayed married to the same person until death parted them.

Sigh...those were happier times...in some respects.  At least in the media. 


And for your listening pleasure:  Arthur Rubenstein playing Chopin.


Guell Park
In 2013 I visited Barcelona and left there an adoring admirer of Gaudi, the eccentric architect.  His work mesmerizes me.


Photos from my visit in 2013.







BarcelonaBarcelona by Robert Hughes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I was reading other interviews on Amazon and it seems the major complaint was that the book should have been more concise and covered less information about the history of Catalonia. One person was irate that there was no mention of the soccer team.

As for me, I did not think it was too long, I liked the extensive trek through history starting with the earliest records, the different kingdoms, rise and fall of kings, queens, aristocracy and such.

By reading Hughes fluid writing, one discovers how the Catalunyans (ibed) or Catalonians view themselves, their fierce pride in their heritage and their language, different from Spanish.

Hughes covers many bases, except, I guess, soccer. We learn of the city's politics, art, language, literature, poetry, and architecture. My hero, Gaudi is honored with the last two chapters, although other architects are also included.

I had seen the Sagrada Familia in art books and it looked like a mud castle someone made on the beach. And then I visited the city and saw it in person. All I can say is that I was mesmerized. There was something spiritually uplifting just by looking at it. For those who don't know (and shame on you if you don't) the Sagrada Familia is Gaudi's masterpiece: a church, it is called a cathedral, although technically it is not a Cathedral because no Bishop presides there, and is still to be finished. The only thing marring this wonder structure are the cranes.

Hughes scoffs at the later architects who have tried to finish Gaudi's work, but I like it, even if there is a noticeable delineation between Gaudi's work and his successors'. There is so much detail and meaningful symbolism.

Hughes scoffs at a lot of things. While I enjoyed the information he provided and felt I learned a lot about Barcelona which increased my appreciation of it, I did not like Hughes' overall tone. He sounded just a little too superior. Turning a clever phrase trumped objective observation.

But, aside from that, readers interested in this remarkable city would do well to read this book.


View all my reviews

For posts on my photo trip through Barcelona you can click on the links below:

Final destination:  Barcelona

Barcelona:  Second Day

Barcelona:  Third Day



12 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon. I had always heard of What’s My Line? but I do not think that I ever saw it. Wikipedia shows that it was on television a very long time and ran until 1975. I think if it had continued much longer then I would have seen it.

Barcelona sounds like If is worth the read. It sends such an interesting place that I know little about. I also wish that I knew more about architecture.

Have a great week.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

The architecture and the details are stunning. I love the colors in that mosaic. And how exciting that you were able to experience Barcelona and Gaudi! It makes reading about a place and a person deeper and more essential.

My husband tells me often that I would love Spain...and Portugal.

mudpuddle said...

i like Gaudi too. it almost seems like emotion solidified; quite miraculous, i think... WML was a family favorite when i was young; we watched it every night almost: a very civilized and interesting and funny program... i missed the episode with Dali, tho... i wonder how it would go over today: probably not enough violence and gore for today's audience... just boring old wit and wisdom... great post, tx...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian! My favorite years of WML are the fifties to 1965. Dorothy Kilgallen died that year and they never could find a suitable replacement, in my opinion.

Have a great week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Ruth! I'm sure you would love Spain. I would also like to visit Portugal. I wanted my son to experience other places so I took him after he graduated from high school. I think it is what helped influence him to live overseas now.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle. That is exactly how I feel about today's shows. They're so hard-edged and sardonic. I wish we could go back to manners and courtesy.

Interesting comment about Gaudi. I think you are right about his work. He personified his own emotions. It certainly provokes an emotional response in me.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I love European history so despite the author and his superiority complex, I think I will add this one to my TBR. Great review!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks, Sarah. This was a good book ad as long as you take his attitude with a grain of salt, you'll get a lot out of it.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

What country does he live now? Did he choose the country and then find work/school, or was it the other way around?

My older kids have always wanted to go to and live in Asia for awhile. It is the one continent that I did not focus on in school, and yet they became fascinated by its culture, food, and language. My son was interested in China and Japan. For my daughter, it was Korea. But as of now, neither one of them has done anything to make it possible. So...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth. That's interesting because my son is now living in China and teaching English. There is a big demand for English teachers over there, and while he has a college degree, it is not in the language arts. The school he is working at trained him. Something to think about if your kids still want to go to China in a couple of years.

He wanted to go to Russia but they didn't have any openings. He got the job first, to answer your question.

He is also becoming fluent in Mandarin. He has been there since February and he says he is now dreaming in Chinese.

Silvia said...

Hi Sharon! Thanks for your comment and for finding me through Ruth. I am following you, I find you very interesting.

Tu español es muy bueno. Enhorabuena por leer en español libros y cómics. The accents and "ñ" there's a code you can look for and get with holding the key ALT and punching some numbers, or you can add a Spanish key to the computer following some steps you can Google, and at the bottom bar you will see English and Spanish and you can switch. (I grew up in Spain and learn the place for our things in our keyboard, but again, you can Google a picture of the Spanish keyboard and know where the "ñ" is and also the key you press before you press an accentuated vowel.
I am from Madrid and have lived in Texas 21 years, but I know very well the Catalonyan rivalry, lol, it's like New York/Texas.
I love Gaudí and your post made me want to watch that show more than reading the book. Not that I am not very interested, but 3/5 stars don't give me enough motivation hahaha.
I am about to read Farewell Spain, an old title of interest by an Irish tourist woman. It has the added interest to be from the civil war times.
I am very happy to have found you and your blog, I will be checking more of it.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Silvia! Thanks for the compliment. And also the information. I'll try it next time.

I also live in Texas and my neighbors are Mexican and I have some good friends from Latin America, so I get a little practice in.

That's so interesting that you're from Madrid and now live in Texas. I'm sure there is a very interesting story there.

It's true that I would not read this book again. He had a definite slant and I now want to find another book from someone with a different attitude. I'm going to read George Orwell's Barcelona sometime in the future. I'll also have to look up Farewell Spain, although I think I'll wait for your review, since you're an authority on whether the book is any good.

I really love Gaudi as well. That was a very happy surprise when I visited Barcelona.

Now I have to visit the rest of Spain.

Also glad to have found your blog and look forward to future posts.