Sunday, January 5, 2020

Reading goals for the first quarter of 2020

I like this song.  I can see a movie scene with this in it.  Heaven's Gate by Dawn Landes.

I spent the new year with my parents on the gulf coast, but more about that later.




I have been enjoying reading the reading goals of my fellow bloggers.  A lot of them are linking together on certain read-alongs and I look forward to reading the reviews in the ensuing months.

Part of me would love to join, but I know I can't narrow my reading.  I'm too scattered.  It's why I stopped reading books for publishing companies.  I want to read what I want to read and going along with other reading lists interferes with that.

Having said that, I decided to get on the bandwagon and create a tentative list that I hope to finish by the first quarter of the year.

I completed my goal on Goodreads of reading 300 books in 2020.  I freely admit that in December I started puffing the numbers with quick reads.  My intention was to make a dent in my 700 plus TBR pile.  It didn't work because I bought as many books as I read.  Sigh.

My goal this year is to read 300 hundred books, but this time I'm going to make a concerted effort to read only books on my pile and I'm going to start with the piles of books lying around the house.  I lovingly call these my "poor little homeless books" because there's no room for them on my shelves.

I haven't bothered to list them, so you'll have to look at the titles in the photos best you can.  The following are the first one hundred, if you include the anthology of mysteries on my Kindle.

So without further ado, here they are, piled according to genre.

Classic

The upside down book is The Third Man by Graham Greene



Christian




Philosophy




Science

I have been especially interested in how memory operates.



Biography

I may have mentioned that I have a goal of reading a biography of every single president.  And also every composer I love.




History

I'm especially excited about that fat blue book.  It's a history of Texas.  The bottom book was irresistible because my maiden name is Barrow.  I know that my father can trace our ancestry back to Jamestown, but I've never seen anything where a Barrow contributed to history.



Foreign Language


Pop Culture




Scary/Supernatural

I eat these books like Godiva Chocolates.  Fattening but delicious.




And, of course my fun weekend reads:  Mystery

The Library of America book is a collection of David Goodis mysteries.  He's a recent discovery and I'm really enjoying him.  I read Don't Shoot the Piano Player and I'm currently reading Dark Passage.  The man can create suspense like nobody's business.  He cleverly provides a hook at the end of each chapter so you end up reading farther along than you intend.

Notice my new Kindle on the right?  Hubby Cubby surprised me with it.  It has back lighting so now I can read in bed in the dark and not bother him.




It's interesting to see what genre I'm heavy on.  I didn't realize that non fiction books outweighed the others.

Well, that's my list.  We'll see how many I read by March.

Let's get started, shall we? Happy reading 2020!



15 comments:

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I see you're going to have a conversation with Karl Marx. That shall be fun. I cannot wait.

Also, I love that the book about the history of Texas is about as big as Texas. Not surprised.

Enjoy your first quarter.

Happy New Year!

Silvia said...

I had a blast looking at the pics and reading this. Many nice titles, big and small. You made me laugh with the fattening but delicious comment on the supernatural/vampires, etc.

Your appetite and taste for books is fascinating.

mudpuddle said...

some fascinating items there... but... that's almost a book a day!! really?? i read 146 last year and many of them were '30's mysteries which go pretty fast... i download them on my Kindle... try Roy Glashan's Library, epub downloads of very many old mysteries and other sorts of book... free...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth

Yes, I am finishing up a terrific book called The Infernal Library which is about dictators and their reading and writing habits. I felt it only logical to read Marx.

I am excited about digging into the Texas one also.

Happy 2020!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Silvia!

Thanks for the compliment. I have been enjoying your blog posts as well! Good luck with the read alongs!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle! I'm sure I am being unrealistic, but actually I read several books concurrently so I do go through the list at a fairly good pace. Plus the mysteries, as you know don't take long. I read a couple a weekend.

I have also begun to listen to books while I paint, so that helps a lot.

And congratulations on reading 145. That's excellent, like your reviews.

Happy 2020.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Oh, one more thing mudpuddle. A few of the books I've already started in December, so they won't take long to finish. Kind of a head start.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon. 300 books is impressive. I like the way you posted pictures of your upcoming reads. I see that you plan to read Jonathan Aitken’s Nixon biography. I remember it being worthwhile. It was more sympathetic to Nixon then many other sources. Often, when I hear Nixon references I remember passages from that book so it has stayed with me.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian,

Thank you! I'm glad to know that the Aitken's biography is good. I didn't really research the author, as I normally do, to ensure it was a good source. I also have Nixon's memoirs and another biography by John A. Farrell. It will be interesting to compare the two.

RTD said...

Wow! You’re ambitious. My goals are modest: keeping my new blog interesting and worthwhile through more reading about Sherlock Holmes.
https://sherlockholmesonthegulfcoast.blogspot.com/
Best wishes, Tim

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. I probably am being ambitious, but we'll see what happens. Thanks for the address. I'll check it out.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Good luck on your goals! I don't really do any read-a-thons or anything. I am like you in that I read what I want to read, when I want to read it. I still have books from publishers and NetGalley that I must get done, but thankfully I am interested so that helps.

You can always join me for Tackling the TBR, I do it weekly, but you could even do it monthly if you want some help with that 700! Here is my 2019 wrap-up if you are interested!

https://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com/2019/12/tackling-tbr-year-in-review-2019.html

Kimberly Sorrell said...

Wow, that's amazing! I love to read, but in this season of life I just can't do much right now, so I try to stick to just the Bible since it's my spiritual food. You amaze me!!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Sarah. I really enjoy your Tackling the TBR. I don't feel so bad about my 700 pile. I simply cannot stop buying books long enough to make a dent in it.

I subscribe to your blog and I see how you are inching down book by book. You at least have the guts to shed some of the books. I can't do that.

Have a great year reading!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Kimberly!

I don't even count the Bible because that's life itself. I couldn't go a single morning or evening without read God's Word.

I have however downloaded an app which has a read the Bible in a year schedule. I look forward to trying it.

Right now my husband and I are going through Hebrews in the evening. What are you currently reading in the Bible?