Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


J.S. Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring





I had problems uploading these so they're not placed how I would like.  The top is me placing a stone on top of Oskar Schindler's grave.  That is how people in Israel honor their dead.


The second is the excavated site of the city of Capernaum.  And the bottom is part of the wall of Old Jerusalem.


The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 This is considered one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century. It is arguably the best novel Fitzgerald wrote and certainly deserves its place as one of the sterling examples of the Jazz Age.

The story is told through the eyes of a man named Nick. He lives in Long Island next to the property of someone named Gatsby. It takes him a while but slowly he gets to know his neighbor.

The development of Gatsby is about as perfectly drawn as any character I've ever read about. At first he is mysterious. Who is he? Is he really an Oxford man as he repeatedly claims? How did he get so rich? Why is he here?

All sorts of artsy, intellectual, fashionable, and pretentious people populate his house. It seems he continually hosts parties.

As time goes on, Nick realizes that Gatsby has one goal. To meet a woman he fell in love with years ago when he was in the army, but who married someone else. Everything Gatsby is doing is driving him to this goal. He has envisioned the perfect strategy. He will woo this woman back.

Daisy is your typical beautiful, vapid Fitzgerald dream girl.

A lot of the conversation in this book is devoted to showing just how inane certain types of people's conversation is. Daisy is inane and shallow and vain. But Gatsby is obsessed with her.

Daisy encourages Gatsby. She's impressed by his wealth, by his attentions.

But sadly, she's too shallow. Even though her husband is cheating on her, she is too inert to change anything. She enjoys drifting.

Also, I think that, as much as Daisy is capable of loving, she truly loves her husband.

This story is one of tragedy. Gatsby created a legend of himself and a reality based on artificial construction.

Everything about him is artificial. His wealth, his background, his friends. Especially his friends. I won't give away the ending except to say that when it really mattered, Gatsby had absolutely no friends. They all dissolved like the shapeless, formless, people they really were.

I think it is effective that Fitzgerald narrates this story with an objective third party. I think this is the only story I've read of his that does that. It allows us to see the characters clearly, including that of Nick and his own role in the farce.

The story concludes appropriately: with an ironic twist. No doubt expressing the author's view of his own life.


View all my reviews



22 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Terrific review Sharon. The story is indeed a study in vacuity. Good point about Daisy really loving Tom. I think that you are correct about that.

I thought that the 2013 film was very good and worth watching.

Have a great day.

RTD said...

Fine review .... I would distill the novel into one phrase: don’t lose sight of the guiding light.
Best from ...
https://restlessreadersmiscellaneousmusings.blogspot.com/

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

I tried with this novel, I really did. But I disliked reading it in school and I only liked it marginally better reading it as an adult. I find nothing really redemptive in Fitzergerald's writing. The word that springs immediately to mind is "downer," and I feel like I read a downer with each novel of his that I've tried. I've said before that a book doesn't have to have all postive themes but I have to feel that I've taken away something positive from it. I never feel this way with Fitzgerald, which is disappointing.

Love the photos of Israel, you lucky duck! So powerful!

mudpuddle said...

i've wondered about SF from time to time, but apparently not enough to actually read any of his books... a crisp, informative post, tho... tx

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brian. I did not see the movie because I heard they used modern music. Probably that was a dumb reason. I may try to see it on video now. Have a great week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Restless Reader, I couldn't agree more. I'm off to check out your blog.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleo,

It's interesting what we enjoy reading. Fitzgerald's life was a tragedy that came to an untimely end. He wrote what he knew.

Yet I really enjoy his writing. The way he turns a phrase and deftly describes the people. Yes they're vapid and shallow, but he describes it acutely.

Sometimes I think that literature classes can ruin the reading experience. The teacher tells us what everything really "means" and we have to dissect and write essays that squeeze all the juice out of a novel, until all that's left is dry bones.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle,

Different books resonant with us. I don't know if he'd be your cup of tea or not. His writing largely takes place inside the narrator's mind. You seem to like more historical adventure and stories that roll out interesting sequences of events. (I like those stories too and I really enjoy reading your review of them.) None of that happens in Fitzgerald. Of course you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Silvia said...

I read it like this as well. Daisy loves Tom, yes. And Fitzgerald was inspired. This book created and defined one America we all now understand because of him.

It's so well written. But it took me two times to see the value above the disgust of the plot and people in it, ha ha ha.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Silvia!

You know, there is nothing really redeeming about Fitzgerald's characters, but I think what I like is that he's honest about it. As opposed to some writers who write about the same sort of people and lifestyle and want to make them sound appealing or glamorous. I'm thinking of current best sellers where the people drink and engage in casual sex, but it's presented as normal or even "romantic".

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Sharon loved seeing your photos of the old wall in Jerusalem and the excavated site of Capernaum. Oskar Schindler's grave stone was special too. I named my German Shepherd in memory of this man. The movie was outstanding "Schindler's List". Great review too of The Great Gatsby. Thank you too for your lovely visit to my blog. Hugs!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Well, Debbie, I really enjoy your photos so I'm glad to repay the compliment. How sweet about your dog. I love German Shepherds, but I would have to get a short haired dog here or they'd be stuck with me inside where the AC is. Take care!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I continue to be in awe of your trip. To be able to place stones on Schindler's grave - I had no idea he was buried there. How truly touching, to see it for yourself. I've seen the movie many times, but have yet to find a good and thorough book about him.

Gatsby is one of my all-time favorite books. Great review.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Sarah!

Well, I do hope you can make it to Israel with your daughter. I was looking for good books on Oskar Schindler. There's a lot out there, but I haven't read any so I couldn't tell you which one to read. I guess I need to see what my library has and review some of their books about him

I'm glad you enjoyed the review, take care!

Marian H said...

That 3rd photo is wow!!

You know, I only gave Gatsby 3.5 stars, but over time the story has stuck in my mind. I've been wanting to reread and your review has added new motivation. I've also seen the 2013 film... thought the first half was terrible, but the second half was pretty good, and Leonardo is excellent as Gatsby. :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

You know, Marian, it was really exciting to go around the wall of old Jerusalem and see where Pontius Pilate stood with Jesus in front of the rabble. Can you see the Dome on the Rock peeping over the edge there?

I loved Fitzgerald in my twenties and this is the first one of his books I've read in a couple years and I still really like his writing style.

I think I'm going to check out the movie.

Carol said...

I haven't read anything by Fitzgerald yet but I have this book so might get around to it one day.
Thomas Keneally (an Aussie) wrote a book about Schindler https://journey-and-destination.blogspot.com/2014/08/schindlers-ark-by-thomas-keneally.html
It's the only book I've read about him so can't compare it with anything else.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol when you read something by Fitzgerald I'd be interested in your review and your comparison of life in the U.S. in the twenties to the same time period in Australia.

I will look up the book. I haven't read a biography of Schindler, but I want to.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Everything about this book agrees with me -- the writing style, the emotional experience, even the negative character traits. "Shallow" describes them all. A modern day tragedy. Will man (and woman) ever change? It is a story that haunts me still. A very effective work IMO.

I only tried This Side of Paradise and bailed halfway through. It was going nowhere. And I won't touch Tender is the Night bc it gets very lukewarm and poor reviews. What else have you tried of his that is worthy bc I am leaning w/ you, that TGG is his best, meaning I probably wouldn't be interested in anything else.

Anyway, thank you for sharing a pic of Schindler's grave.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth.

I thought the Beautiful and Damned was very good. This Side of Paradise was his first book and I thought it was a bore. Tender is the Night was yucky. I couldn't finish it.

Also I can recommend his short stories. In fact I think his short stories are the best stuff he's written.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I'll consider Beautiful and the Damned, if I see it used; I've heard his short stories were good. So there it is. And I guess I should say, I agree w/ The Great Gatsby, not the book agrees w/ me. (That's not the author's intention!)

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth.

I really thought the Beautiful and the Damned was extremely honest as a portrayal of Fitzgerald and Zelda's life. I think what helped me was that I had just finished a biography of Zelda and it helped me recognize that she is the muse in all of his stories.

Ha, ha! I thought you were making some sort of literary metaphor.