Sunday, April 12, 2020

Marilyn: the Classic by Norman Mailer


This is not classical music, but I love the masterful guitar playing of Leo Kottke in his rendition of Eight Miles High.










Marilyn: A BiographyMarilyn: A Biography by Norman Mailer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Norman Mailer was part of the group that changed the style of writing non fiction to make it read more like a novel.

In that respect, he does a great job. His writing is brilliant, if cynical and a little superior. It's also geared, I think, toward the "hip and groovy" set who think reading books like this puts them in a certain "cool" category.

Having said that, I still like the book. The photographs, if nothing else are worth the price of the book alone (which in my case was a used book in mint condition for five dollars, heh heh).

Mailer admits that his book is largely a compilation of previous biographies and speculation based on her movies and photographs. This is evident when he writes out the thoughts that Marilyn and others involved in her life could be thinking at any given time.

But much of what he writes can be verified. He certainly is successful in conveying what a complicated, tragic and fascinating person she was, and he also gives a thorough biographical time line of her life.

The only thing I found surprising was that he makes no mention of Marilyn having an affair with President Kennedy and barely hints at an involvement with Bobby Kennedy. Other sources I read declare that she was so involved with JFK she thought she was going to be the next Mrs. Kennedy.

But this was written back in the early seventies and maybe it was still too sacrosanct a subject to touch upon.

He explores all the possible reasons Marilyn could have died, overdose, either accidental or intentional...suicide or murder...who knows what really happened. Accidental overdose is the most likely cause based on her history of barbiturate addiction and previous close calls. Arthur Miller even wrote a play about it (After the Fall) and was censured for it. Listening to him talk about "the need to sacrifice others in order to save yourself-a justification for letting someone go ahead and kill herself- revealed a cold-hearted man.

Although Mailer actually portrays Miller as the victim of Marilyn's contempt and verbal abuse. Maybe he was, she was no angel. It is speculated that she had a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Her making everyone else wait hours for her on movies sets is one indication.

But ultimately she is a portrait of tragedy. Her persona was so powerful that it completely possessed her and when you act intimate with everyone, you can be close to no one.

Aficionados of Marilyn will enjoy this book.


View all my reviews

15 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - I have heard a lot about this book. I never got into the fascination of Marilyn Monroe but nevertheless I think that I would find this interesting.

I find it intriguing how things that are characterized as hip and groovy often age very quickly. Nevertheless a good book is a good book.

Take care and stay healthy.

mudpuddle said...

a bit out of my line, true... never gave her much thought... i like Kottke, tho...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian

I think that Mailer is an interesting writer. I would like to read more of him.

I have a friend who lives on Long Island. I know its crazy up there. Praying for your health and safety.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle!

I don't know why some cultural pop icons interest me, but they do. James Dean or Elvis doesn't, but Johnny Rotten does.

Have a good week. Keep that bicycle six feet apart from the others ;)

mudpuddle said...

HAHA! many tx for the reminder!

Debbie Nolan said...

Whatever the case with Marilyn Monroe...her life seemed to be very tragic. My niece who is 37 has a real fascination with Marilyn's life. Seems somewhat strange since she was long gone before niece was born. Hope you are well and doing alright. Thank you for stopping by to visit me. Hugs!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

That's really interesting that there was no mention of the Kennedys. That is so well-known, maybe that's why? Even so, that theory makes no sense. In biographies I have read of Monroe, they've all made similar statements about her wanting to be/becoming the next Mrs. Kennedy

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Sarah. Yes, I think that Mailer did not get all the facts, because so many other sources say the same thing that you say: she thought she was going to become the next Mrs. Kennedy and that may be why she committed suicide.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Debbie. I think that is Marilyn Monroe had lived to an old age, she would not have become the icon she did.

Really enjoy your photos and thoughts on your blog, Debbie. Hope you had a blessed Easter.

Sharon Wilfong said...

You're welcome mudpuddle. I'm not sure is six feet apart really helps, but whatever.

RTD said...

Hmmm. ... I couldn’t bring myself to read a book about a person like MM .... enough said ....

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R.T. She's not everyone's cup of tea...

Unknown said...

Whenever I see Marilyn Monroe or hear about her, it always makes me sad. Hope your'e doing well, Sharon!

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

Ooops, Sharon! Could you please delete my last comment? I posted: Whenever I think of Marilyn Monroe it makes me sad....." but I posted it from the wrong google account. Sorry!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Cleo.

Marilyn is a very sad person and so tragic. A case of gaining the whole world but losing her soul.

By the way, I'm having trouble posting on your blog so I hope you're getting my comments. Blogger is giving me a hard time with everyone's blogs.

Again I'm praying for you. My good friend's husband just passed after a brief bout with cancer. Right around Easter, which is an appropriate time to remember that death is not permanent for believers and one day we will all be resurrected. Blessings1