Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator by Timothy C. Winegard


Here are the Vivaldi Mandolin Concertos.






The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest PredatorThe Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator by Timothy C. Winegard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Like the previous book I reviewed on Squid, I had a certain expectation that this book would keep to facts.

Again, where strict science was applied, what is the mosquito, what do we know about it based on what we can see, hear, touch etc.. with our senses...what kind of diseases are they known to carry...death rates due to malaria, yellow fever...this was very interesting.

I also found interesting the author's dive into history...the battles of Rome with the various barbaric tribes from Germany, northern Africa and Asia.

The book is definitely slanted towards finding the mosquito responsible for winning every ancient battle, directing Alexander the Great's course across Europe and Asia, the spread of Christianity...all due to the mosquito.

I have no doubt that armies plagued with malaria certainly helped shape the course of events, just like Russia's winter fended off the Germans.

But his version of history took too much license and wasn't based entirely in fact. Or rather he took an ounce of fact and inflated it with a pound of guesswork.

According to Winegard, Christianity spread because Christians were a "healing cult" and did not shy away from ministering to the sick and dying. Paganism was more selfish and fatalistic.

He also has nothing good to say about the medieval church or the crusades. Well, maybe I don't either, but he excises every good they did, initiating institutions of learning, providing sanctuary for the poor and marginalized and shows only the corruption. There was horrible corruption in the leadership of the church then, but the average monk or priest was not necessarily a party to that corruption. Many a lay Christian and small village priest sacrificed their lives in poverty and died with his congregation when disaster struck.

But I would not have minded the broad brush stroke except that Winegard brushes the Muslim world with an entirely different broad brush. It was the Muslims who enlightened Europe, the Muslims who were free of corruption, invented education etc...This is not exactly true either, although no doubt considerable contributions were made to Europe via the Middle East.

The biggest sweep he makes is when he asserts that people became Christians because they had to and converted to Islam because they wanted to because it was such a merciful, enlightened culture produced by Mohammed. Really? Think again.

This book was not written for someone with anything other than a cursory knowledge of the mosquito, and certainly not for anybody with an informed opinion of the history of the western world. So would I recommend it? I guess read it for yourself, but arm yourself with other sources of information.


View all my reviews

11 comments:

Marian H said...

What an interesting topic...too bad the history is so one-sided. I might like to skim this book someday (perhaps after the pandemic though).

Also, thanks for sharing the Vivaldi mandolin concertos! My sister used to play mandolin many years ago, so it's a bit of a nostalgia kick for me. :)

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon- It is too bad about this book. The history of the mosquito must be fascinating and is likely important.

I find that sometimes, when someone becomes fascinated by a subject they sometimes credit its influence to be way beyond what it really is. In this case mosquitoes.

I do not know what Wingard’s stance on social issues is, but the unfair framing between Christianity and Islam is typical of the movement that I have been calling postmodernist or the identitarian left.

mudpuddle said...

if someone else told me about this book i wouldn't have believed them: pretty strange, interpreting world history through the eyes of a mosquito! love your "squashing an ounce of truth with a pound of speculation"... and the Vivaldi is wonderful: just the right tempi!!! i've heard some of these concerti played by other instruments; i think V switched them around depending upon which student was a better performer. i'g give anything to have been present when he was conducting lessons at the girl's abbey back in the 17th C. there must have been some pretty amazing musicians there, the bassoonist in particular...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marian!

Well, I guess every book might be a bit one sided. It's hard for humans to be objective. Which is why we have to read several sources.

That's cool about your sister. Does she have herself on Youtube or anywhere? I'd like to listen to her.

Hope you're safe and healthy!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian!

Thanks for your comments. Of course I'm probably hypersensitive about any slants against Christianity. I flatter myself (eyeroll) that I'm a little more objective. For instance, I disagree with the fundamental tenets of Islam, but that doesn't mean I cannot see that in fact, there are beautiful arts, architecture and literature, all produced by Muslims in history. In fact their avoidance of creating graven images has produced incredible works of geometric patterns, such as in their rugs and walls etc..

Also, while I was in Israel, I found the Arabs extremely likable. They are also victims of governmental policies. They need a lot of prayer.

And I would like to say that I really appreciate and respect how kind you are towards people (like me) who do not agree with you religiously or politically (at least in some respects). I wish all people of every philosophical stripe could be so respectful.

It is indeed disturbing the direction post modernist and extreme leftists are taking. I know there are extreme right wingers, but they don't have the teeth or bullets because they get no positive media attention. That doesn't mean things couldn't come to a horrible head, however.

Of course I am praying for you. :)

Have a great week. Be safe!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle!

I am flattered you consider me a reliable source. I try my best. I've come to the conclusion that when you try to manipulate people to your side you only make yourself look ridiculous.


I'm glad you like the Vivaldi. Coming from you that's a high compliment. I have always enjoyed feedback from my own performances from musicians. People who don't know much about music don't have the ears to truly appreciate everything that is going on sound wise.

That would be awesome to get into a time machine and hear Vivaldi or any of them. I guess we're lucky to live today to be able to hear everybody. Vivaldi never got to hear Mozart or Beethoven etc..

Be safe! Bike in isolation! :)

Marian H said...

Several sources - really true! I try to read in "phases" when possible, to get multiple perspectives.

Yes, my sister has a YouTube channel, though she hasn't uploaded anything very recently. There's a couple of mandolin videos (folk music :)): https://www.youtube.com/user/Emikomusic1/videos

Debbie Nolan said...

Wonderful music and thanks for the review. Interesting about the Mosquito...must take some time to skim this book. Thank you too for your visit. Have a blessed day.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie! I'm glad you enjoyed the music. A nice trade off because I so enjoy your art and nature photos, especially of your puppies. I wish I could have a German Shepherd, but I think they would bake down here in Texas.

Carol said...

It’s a shame the author wasn’t more balanced. I do enjoy books like this with a medical slant but it’s bot easy to find an author that has a good mix of facts/story/perspective. I started reading Bill Bryson’s book The Body earlier this year and was enjoying it but put it aside as I had some livrary books I wanted to finish before they were due back but with the virus I had a very long extension on those I had out. I still haven’t finished them though!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol!

It's funny you talk about library books, because I have a bagful to return to the library but they have been extending them since they are closed until the quarantine is over.

I'm especially excited about the library here in the town I just moved into. It was at one time a mansion or a church. It's a beautiful stone structure and a friend of mine says she likes it better than the library in the town I used to live in.

The other negative is, although our library has hoopla, we're only allowed five check outs per month and I finished my quote half way through the month. I still have to wait another week until I can check more electronic books out.

Any idea when the Australian quarantine will be over?