Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Burning Secret by Stefan Zweig

Here is another discovery:  Ivor Gurney:  A Gloucester Rhapsody

I really hit the jackpot this past week.  I went to my library to find that they were giving away a lot of their history books.  I began to help myself.  A librarian came out and I was embarrassed, because I was greedily and brazenly emptying the shelves.  But she told me to take all I wanted and brought me a couple of more bags.  All in all I got over 40 free books.  Score!


As you can see it is mostly American History.


But with some Russian History and also some books about the Middle East.




Berfore writing my review on Goodreads, I read another man's review of the same story.  I should have known I would not like his review, because his abrasive posts had already caused me to unfriend him.  So you will see that some of my review is colored by my reaction to the other review.


The Burning Secret (Stefan Zweig Collection)The Burning Secret by Stefan Zweig

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'm somewhat nonplussed at some of the loutish reviews over this story. At least one of them. Maybe the reader has never known loneliness. Maybe he's an insensitive clod. Maybe he yawns over the fact the author took his own life.

Whatever the reason he found all the characters contemptible. I found this story moving and at times heart-wrenching.

The story centers around a young boy. He's twelve but mature-wise he's much younger, more like a nine year old. Probably that was normal back in a time when the culture wasn't so hyper-sexualized as it is today.

The boy and his mother are at a resort for the boy's health, which is delicate. You read that a lot in literature written before the discovery of antibiotics. We'd all be delicate back then; those of us that survived our infancy, that is.

The boy has always been introverted and socially awkward, not finding it easy to interact with his peers. This naturally results in a great loneliness on his part.

Then, he is befriended by a man at the hotel. He is an officer on vacation. At first the boy is surprised, diffident and then overjoyed at the attention this man gives him. Because I have worked closely with children, I understand how so little effort on an adult's part towards them has huge consequences in their life. Yet most adults throw this opportunity away, even with (especially with) their own children.

The boy becomes obsessed with the officer. His waking moments are to see this man, at the restaurant, everywhere. Because Zweig writes the thoughts of his characters, we gain such an acute insight into their motives, not only theirs, but human nature in general. Of course if you aren't really interested in other people you could find this style of writing uninteresting. Sorry, I'm still chaffed about that other review.

But the boy comes to a tragic realization. The Officer is, in fact, not interested in him at all, but instead was using him to meet his mother with whom he hopes to have a brief affair. A week long amusement to alleviate the boredom while he is on vacation.

At first the boy is heartbroken. Then he recovers. He's angry and his anger and hatred make him remorseless. His innocence prevents him from understanding what is truly going on, but he understands enough to realize he has a certain hold over his mother and the Officer. Both of them regard him with a certain fright because of how he could expose them.

The story continues and concludes, but I won't reveal anymore, in case you want to read it for yourself.

I wonder if Zweig himself was this young boy and his own hypersensitive nature is what compelled him to write stories like this as well as commit suicide.



View all my reviews

14 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon.

That is an impressive book haul!

The story sounds moving. I agree, adults so often miss opportunities to connect with children. I have not read Zweig but I must give him a try.

Take care.

mudpuddle said...

i wasn't aware Zweig killed himself... hmmm, i'll bet you're right about his childhood... i just looked and i've got this story: i'll go read it and get back to you...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian

I think the positive impact to our future would be priceless if more adults mentored children.

If you read it, please write a review.

Have a great week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle,

I think Zweig was extremely sensitive and when the Nazis came into power, he lost all hope.

I'd like to read your review of this book.

mudpuddle said...

i don't know about a review, but i thought it was quite well realized and written, although i did have a sort of rubber-bandish feeling about it... the development of Edgar would have suited a full length novel; while his epiphanic experience was effectively discussed, it was hard to credit it all happening, at 12 years old, all in two or three days... maybe that's the sort of thing that happened to him; it does sort of sound like it... and i think i had a problem with the ending: it's not likely that everything would go back to normal the way Zweig described it... it's been my experience in lit and life that some things like that never go away, which is why it's good for people to be nice to one another... but Z's an excellent writer i think and i liked the translation over all in spite of a couple of spots where the tone seemed vary, like switching from the key of C to F minor for no apparent reason... the volume i've got has more of his stories in it and i think, when i get a roundtoit i'll read some more of them... tx for the interesting post, it was a trip!

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Wow, you scored! LOL!!

You read such interesting stories.

P.S. A Gloucester Rhapsody is really beautiful and pleasant. Thank you for sharing.

Marian H said...

What an amazing haul, congrats!! Oh, and that story sounds right up my alley. I will see if I can find it.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi mudpuddle,

I think your comments are right on. I agree with you about the ending. And in real life, I think the boy would look back and realize what was actually happening.

It's interesting to me that with a word, Edgar could have changed the relationship between his mother and father forever. One wonders if later he would have or if he would have felt obligated to keep his burning secret and also accumulate a sense of guilt.

I really like Zweig. I have all of his works now so you'll be seeing a lot of reviews on his books in the future.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Ruth!

Fellow book people always understand. I once had a friend who looked at me like I was crazy for having so many books.

Glad you liked the music.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marion

I look forward to reading any review you will write on Zweig's books.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

When you walk into the public library, do you not consider for a moment how wonderful it would be if it were your own home? I know you appreciate the wealth contained in those books, and I can attest (to your friend who thought you crazy) that you are not collecting them for appearance or ambiance. You actually utilize them!

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Ruth,

I think that maybe I'm too sensitive, but I also think my friend was feeling a little inadequate so she felt she had to somehow put down my reading.

R's Rue said...

Love these books.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi R's Rue.

Thank you! I love your poems. I didn't leave a comment, but I enjoyed reading a lot of them. Take care!