Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: a story of survival from the West Bank by Amelia Thomas

Here is Ralph Vaughn Williams' In the Fen Country.  Williams is one of my favorite composers.  His music makes me think of lush landscape paintings.





The Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West BankThe Zoo on the Road to Nablus: A Story of Survival from the West Bank by Amelia Thomas

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


There is a rarity among non fiction writers to engage the reader as Amelia Thomas has. I found this book refreshing in that it serves as a documentary of the lives of both human and animals in one of the political hotbeds of the world, while showing the goodness, the sadness, the uncertainty and harshness of a place far away from the imagination of the western mind.

Qalqilya is on the border of Palestine and Israel, about an hour north of Jerusalm. I probably passed it without knowing it last October during my stay in Israel. Pity.

A Palestinian veterinarian, Dr. Sami has great dreams for his zoo. Once it was a beautiful place with a luscious environment for exotic animals for the British overlords to enjoy. Now it is a dilapidated facility with a few animals fighting for survival. The political tensions between Israel and Palestine make the zoo's existence low on anyone else's list of concerns.

Through Thomas, we follow Dr. Sami around as he fights, begs, cajoles and pleads with city officials, other zoos in Egypt and Israel to help populate his forlorn zoo and keep the animals alive and healthy.

He seems to be fighting a losing battle. His animals die, some because they weren't viable to begin with, some because keeping wild animals alive in enclosures is hard and costly and some, it turns out, because somebody was poisoning them.

The reader gets a glimpse of a country whose value on human life has become numb due to violence and a fatalistic philosophy. Animals are not accorded that much respect. His daughter comes home to find out an odious aunt has killed her beloved pet chicken and roasted it for her personal culinary delectation. She refuses to speak to her father for two weeks.

But Dr. Sami loses neither optimism nor resourcefulness. He takes under his wing and into his office newborn bears, ibexes, and monkeys who, in spite of being nursed by Dr. Sami still suffer a high mortality rate. He travels to Egypt to possibly procure some animals from a similarly neglected zoo, where the animals are treated even worse, because the keepers won't even feed the animals unless the zoo visitors pay them.

While the animals are seen with no rights respecting treatment, neither are the humans. The zoo's manager, due to his own stupidity, is ravaged by a camel. He ends up several weeks in the hospital and comes out a withered man. However, the camel is not destroyed.

Not that an attempt on the camel's life is not made. The manager's son creeps in at night and shoots the camel in the jaw. He is not arrested or charged, but his father disowns him because of the shame. It's a different world.

My personal opinion is that, while I understand that children in Palestine deserve a place to go to to alleviate the dreariness of a war torn country, I don't think it should be at the expense of suffering animals. Thanks to the high mortality rate of his animals, Dr. Sami has quite a taxidermy collection going. Maybe it would be better to show the children a museum of stuffed animals. They could see exotic animals and stuffed animals would be easier to maintain.

As sad as this story was, I'm glad I read it and appreciate Thomas' combination of writing skill and compassion in writing this little known zoo's story.



View all my reviews

16 comments:

mudpuddle said...

our daughter is a vet and it's a very hard life, with excruciatingly difficult decisions to be made daily... it's great that a book like this pointing out the horrors of a war torn part of the world can relate the plight of animals to a global audience...

is that one of your paintings? it's interesting looking, what i can see of it...

Brian Joseph said...

Super post Sharon This sounds unusual to say the least. I agree that if possible, animals should not be kept in that situation. Hopefully we will see an improvement in human affairs in that part of the world in the future.

Sandi said...

I don't like zoos. It is animal jail. But it is amazing to see them upclose. Well...I think they should be free. Even our pets too...the wild ones, that is. I have a hermit crab I want to release. I read they all come from the wild. But he came from faraway from here, so I can't let him go.

Praying for peace for Israel and that whole area.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Thanks for sharing music. I never heard of this composer, and this piece was very enjoyable.

I'm in agreement with you, about the cost to maintain the living animals. His intentions sound kind, but your idea makes a lot of sense.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI mudpuddle.

I bet your daughter has some interesting stories to tell. I thought this book was very illuminating and once again I think young people should all live in a 3rd world country to appreciate what they have here.

Yes, that is one of my paintings and now it looks different because I added more flowers and tried to change the color of the birds to add dimension. I'm not sure I succeeded.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian,

When I visited Israel last October, I met as many Arabs and Israelis. They are a warm-hearted and hospitable people. It's a reminder that we shouldn't take for granted the peace and security we have here. Although things are churning up. It just makes me pray all the harder for people.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth

Your kids would probably enjoy this book as a social study topic. Hope everything is safe and sound where you are.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Sandi,

I don't like animals suffering. I think that if money is spent on keeping them in a viable habitat they can be happy, maybe happier in zoos, than in the wild where they can be killed, often in a gruesome suffering manner.

But I look forward to when God restores the earth and the lion lies down with the lamb. It will be wonderful. Animals will no longer fear us and no one will ever mistreat them.

Debbie Nolan said...

Sharon I just love the music you chose to share. It has a haunting quality which I so enjoyed. As for your review - I am so glad you shared this book which gives us a glimpse into the sad plight of animals in a zoo that doesn't receive good support. I love animals so much I can't visit a zoo anymore. Magnificent Lions and other large species caged makes me too sad. I tend to identify with a loss of their freedom. Even Noah left them off the ark to roam where they wanted when the flood ended :)! Hugs!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie

I don't even cage my birds. My husband made an aviary out of trees for them to enjoy.

As I told Sandi, I look forward to that new earth when animals and humans live together in peace.

Carol said...

Another interesting sounding book, Sharon! My intention was to read more nonfiction this year & I have a few that I’m reading, mostly on nutrition, but its very slow going. I’m reading Bill Bryson’s book, Notes From a Small Island, aloud to my daughter so we can relive some of the UK trip we did last year. Hope Derek is doing well in China. 🙂

Brenda said...

Hi,
I have always loved animals, and could never even step on an ant. When I was a child I lived in an uphill crescent and used to rescue worms from the gutters when it rained. We kept many pets and when one died my father used to put it in a shoe box and bury it in the back garden with a cross on top. All pets had freedom, even the budgie my mum had used to have the cage door open and fly around the room, eventually landing on our shoulders. Love is the most important thing when you have animals, whether large or small, and they need space. Our rescue cat literally has a conversation with my husband at night on the bed. You would not believe the sounds she makes, she copies the cat noises that he makes.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Carol,

You and your children would like this book and it would be educational. It is warmly written and really brings to light the living conditions of people in Israel and Palestine. There's no bad guys. Just people caught in the middle.

Also, I am currently reading a book about veterinarians and their wildlife patients. It's very good. It's titled, The Rhino With Glue-On Shoes. Since you like Darrell, you'd really like these collection of essays by vets.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Brenda!

You and I are Soul Sisters. I would have every pet imaginable. I love them all. When I was a teenager we had eight cats. OK, they were stray cats, and my dad wouldn't let them in to the house, but they were mine. They came into our backyard and sat on my lap. I fed them.

Since then I've had cats and dogs and they do talk. I have had whole conversations with them. And also my birds. They are very vocal.

And I agree about the space. I hate seeing animals caged. My birds are never caged. I have a cage for their water and food, but the door is always open. My husband made an aviary for them with lots of branches. But mostly they ride on my head and shoulders.

Vintage Reading said...

I got drawn into your review. I want to read this now!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Vintage Reader!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find a copy. I know you'll enjoy it.