Monday, September 14, 2020

The Moth Presents: Occasional Magic: True Stories About Defying the Impossible edited by Catherin Burns

Listening to Michael Pretorious.






I read one of the stories in a Readers Digest lying around my parents' house. It intrigued me so I found the book in my local library.

What I liked about it was the personal story aspect. I love reading or hearing people describe their lives, or certain experiences in their lives.

Most of the stories' topic matter was predictable since it is put out by NPR: people of minority races, homosexual, or female overcoming oppression by the evil white society.

However....

There were some real gems nestled in their midst. Stories about people whose hardship in their own countries led them to this country to escape persecution and to gain opportunities denied them in their own country of origin. Their gratitude is palpable.

And there were a couple I appreciate by women who decided that having a baby did not interfere with fulfilling their personal dreams, in fact, having children turned out to be a greater dream than personal ambition.

One particular story was quite powerful. A woman became pregnant and due to her age and early sonograms was told she needed to abort, first because the baby had Downs Syndrome, then later because, actually, the baby had Edwards Syndrome and was going to die anyway.

Her response was unforgettable: Since he was going to die anyway, couldn't she at least meet him first?

The pressure to abort was intense and my hat is off to her determination. Then she had her baby. In her own words:

"He. Was. Perfect."

Her son was ten years old at the time of the story and a perfectly healthy baby boy.

Which begs the question, how many other perfectly healthy babies have been aborted due to pressure by health professionals based on faulty testing?

There were a couple of other gems: The man remembering his time with friends playing poker until five pm, the next day. All of his friends have passed on, but he has his memories of them and it's good.

The story that led me to checking the book out was about a young boy taken from his home in Alabama by his mother and stepfather to live in California. Severely homesick, in Junior high, fat and awkward, his misery is alleviated by his grandmother back in Alabama who sends a giant Christmas package via Greyhound Bus, which brought home to him. She did this every year until she died.

Even though I know most of the stories are going to be stamped with NPR approval, I still want to read the other volumes because human interest stories are wonderful and I love reading them, regardless of who puts them out. 
 

 



4 comments:

mudpuddle said...

lovely painting with an unusual pov... billions of stories all over the planet, more than anyone could ever read or find out about...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle!

I almost hate sending postcards like that; I'd rather keep them, but that's selfish. I love getting postcards in the mail. Let me know if you'd like another. With all that's going on in your world, I'm sure you can using some cheering up.

There are billions of stories, because every single person has a story. Some people are better at writing about it than others.

That's why I am trying to write the stories of my friends and acquaintances. They deserve to have their life stories preserved.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon- A very balanced review Sharon. Personal stories like these csn be fulfilling to read. I know what you mean about NPR. Like some other instructions that have gone down the Identitarian rabbit hole.

Have a great week.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian

Thank you. I know I can be outspoken and a bit blunt. Sometimes it feels good to just get things off my chest, but I don't like to do it at the expense of other people's feelings.

And to be honest, a lot of the stories are so interesting. I should have said I wish there were more everyday stories. I felt it was a little bit heavy on celebrity testimonies.