Sunday, March 10, 2019

Life of a Counterfeiter by Yasushi Inoue

Well, this is not classical, but it was what I was listening to when I wrote this review:  Deezer Session by Agnes Obel.




I have lately become interested in Asian art and literature, particularly from China, Japan, and Korea, but increasingly Vietnam as well.

 I've been not only looking at the traditional, but also the 20th century paintings of artists from these countries.  It's fascinating to see how art expression develops in different countries and how they start to overlap as all countries become more global.

I do not mean that all modern works of art look the same, although I would say that modern painting is not immediately recognizable as coming from a particular country, but that is OK.  It is still a valid form of expression and, while traditional art may be more distinctive to our eyes, due to the isolation of countries from each other in previous centuries, I still can perceive particular cultural influences on even the abstractions that are produced on canvas by artists in this century.











Life of a Counterfeiter (Pushkin Collection)Life of a Counterfeiter by Yasushi Inoue

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I really believe that Yasushi Inoue has become one of my favorite writers. This small book contains a novella, Life of a Counterfeiter, and two short stories, Reeds and Mr. Goodall's Gloves.

Each story is told in a calm thoughtful and also compassionate way. Inoue based his stories on real life and his deep interest in other people shows as he describes, in the first story, his journey to discover who the mysterious Hosen is, a counterfeiter who sold his own paintings under the name of a famous Japanese artist.

In the second story he hearkens back to fragments of a memory of an aunt who lived with his family when he was very young. She apparently had "compromised" herself and was sent to live in Inoue's small village with his family until she married the father. This aunt is written about in his book Shirobamba.

The final story begins with Inoue walking through a Western Cemetery and coming across the gravestone of a man with the name of someone who helped his grandmother years ago. This granny, not really his grandmother but the mistress of his great- grandfather, is another character in Shirobamba. I'm glad I read Shirobamba first, a story about Inoue's childhood in pre-WWI Japan, before this book, because it enabled me to better appreciate the characters.

None of these stories are adventurous, but each one contains a quiet memory, perhaps not exciting, but profound to the author and, thanks to his poetic writing, becomes as profound and beautiful to us as a biographical haiku.



View all my reviews




8 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - I have heard many good things about Inoue. Sometimes stories can be subdued and unedited and still be very worthwhile. The actual premises of the stories as you describe them sound very appealing.

mudpuddle said...

i became interested in Zen through Haiku... i was doing a lot of reading about oriental philosophy and composing Haiku at the same time... one of mine won a prize in a global contest thrown by a Japanese Zen monastery... they sent me a handmade bag sort of thing and a declaration with the emperor's chop on it... it was a phase i went through: after i had a satori experience there wasn't anything more to discover, so i dropped the whole thing... it permanently influenced the way i look at life, tho... and so i can easily understand your interest in the orient and it's lit... the stories you read reflect Eastern feeling about life and nature from a philosophical pov, i think...

Sharon Wilfong said...

I really appreciate how you share interesting parts of your life, Mudpuddle. I think people and culture just fascinate me and I can never get enough learning about others. It is a daily treat to hear from my son who is now living in China and learning the language and teaching English. He has so much to learn and sometimes it gets him down, but he is determined to keep trucking along.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. Based on your reviews, I think you would get a lot out of Inoue's writings and I would enjoy reading your reviews about them.

RTD said...

Biographical haiku? I like that concept. I’ll try to find the book. Thx.
https://rtdavismarginalia.blogspot.com/

mudpuddle said...

your son must be an extraordinary person! very impressive endeavors!

Sharon Wilfong said...

You're welcome, R.T. Hope all is going well with you.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thank you, Mudpuddle. I certainly think so, but of course I could be a little biased...