Sunday, March 24, 2019

Strange Light Afar: Tales of the Supernatural from Old Japan retold by Rui Umezawa and Something Wicked from Japan: Ghosts, Demons and Yokai in Ukiyo-e

Here is the overture to Handel's Messiah.  I thought maybe we could listen to this Oratorio over the next few weeks, if any of you feel so inclined.




Guess who got a new little monster?  Me.  After the tragic loss of Cosmo, I was granted a second chance.  We went to the store to get fish but instead left with this little blue blizzard.  Say hello to Sophie Grace.  I couldn't come up with a female detective whose name I liked and Sophie fits her spunky nature and Grace...well, she's a Quaker...get it?





Strange Light Afar: Tales of the Supernatural from Old JapanStrange Light Afar: Tales of the Supernatural from Old Japan by Rui Umezawa

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Strange Light Afar is a collection of traditional Japanese folktales of the supernatural retold by Rui Umezawa. It was a good companion to the Ukiyo-e art book I have, which I will also review. Ukiyo-e are Japanese paintings by master artists dealing with ghosts, demons and Yokai (supernatural monsters) as their subjects. I had read the art book first so when I recognized certain folk tales in this book I went back to my art book to see the painting illustrating the same story. Many of these stories were performed as Kabuki (classical Japanese drama). The paintings often illustrate the real life actors who portrayed the different characters

There are eight stories in this collection that deal with greed, murder, friendship that lasts beyond the grave; beautiful, bewitching supernatural women; while showing the everyday culture of the Japanese people from peasants to royalty throughout the history of Japan.

While I found Mr. Umezawa's writing style a bit clunky, almost juvenile, (of course he's translating so I shouldn't judge too harshly), I did like how he retold all of these stories from the third person limited or first person. What made this effective was how so many of the narrators, especially the ones talking in first person were not aware of their character flaws, but clearly reveal it to the reader by their words and actions. This was a clever way of allowing us to study the psychology of people who truly cannot see how brutal or self-absorbed they are, but can only perceive how they are treated.

And it is quite subtle. One character is truly evil and ruthless, but can only see himself as the victim. Another is impressed with how "good" and "loving" he is without realizing that his motives are selfish and even cruel.

All of these stories are sad. They are about broken hearts, betrayed trust, or the abused and even murdered. Evil abounds in these stories, but so does a strong justice that is meted out to the evil doer.

Finally, each chapter has an illustration of the story by artist Mikiko Fujita
Those interested in traditional Japanese culture and a better understanding of Ukioy-e will enjoy this collection of stories.



View all my reviews



Something Wicked from Japan: Ghosts, Demons & Yokai in Ukiyo-E MasterpiecesSomething Wicked from Japan: Ghosts, Demons & Yokai in Ukiyo-E Masterpieces by Ei Nakau

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was such a delightful book. All of you who like paintings of the supernatural and are interested in the Japanese concept of things that go bump in the night, will enjoy this collection of traditional Japanese art about, well, ghosts, demons and yokai (supernatural monsters).

The book is not coffee table size, more 8' by 10', but all the paintings are in color and have both full and detailed views. Also, each painting is accompanied by an explanation of the story depicted and the Kabuki actor who is painted in as the character.

The subject matter is scary, exciting, and suspenseful. The paintings are dramatic with rich color and highly expressive postures and facial expressions.

Something Wicked will intrigue and spark your interest the stories behind these paintings and perhaps have you looking for books on Japanese folk lore.



View all my reviews
 




12 comments:

Anchors To Windward said...

Hi Sharon,
This may come as a surprise, but as far as I can recall, I've never read any Japanese translated books. Great review though, and congratulations on the new family member!

Brian Joseph said...

Super review Sharon. The stories sound so good. The psychological aspect of using first person narration to highlight character traits sounds very effective. I need to take a deeper dive into Japanese culture. It seems so rich and different.

Marcia Strykowski said...

Sophie Grace is lovely! I missed that you lost Cosmos, so sorry. I have trouble keeping up with blogs, but as always, your book reviews (that I also read on Goodreads) are wonderful, full of details and good stuff. Great music choices, too, keep on with what you do so well!

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Hmmm, these are interesting works -- at this time, not my kind of genre; but who knows, I may change my mind one of these days. I do all the time.

Sorry about Cosmo. : (

Your new little girl is adorable, and I love the name. (I have a Sophia - but we call her Sophie - and an Eva Grace, too.)

mudpuddle said...

are these stories from noh plays? or the subject of them, maybe? Arthur Waley wrote a book about noh drama that was pretty good... i'm more familiar with Chinese opera than with Japanese drama... condolences on losing Cosmo and Sophia seems like a cozy addition to the family...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Anchors. I have only recently developed an interest in Japanese and other Asian literature. I think we all go through seasons of interest.

Hopefully, my reviews will spark an interest in others.

Have a good week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. It is rich and different and I think as our world becomes more global, it behooves us to read the traditional and modern literature of other countries in order to gain a greater understanding in the people.

Have a good week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. Losing Cosmo was something I couldn't bring myself to talk about.

Thanks for reading my reviews, I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the music choices as well.

Hope your books are selling well.

Sharon Wilfong said...

As I said to Anchors to Windward, I think we have different tastes at different times. I only recently have developed an interest in Asian literature.

Thanks for the condolences about Cosmo. That was an unexpected shock. But Sophie has made herself at home and is very affectionate.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI mudpuddle. Some of these illustrations and stories are from Kabuki plays and may be from Noh plays as well. It seems likely. I'll look up Waley's book. I think I would be interested in it.

Losing Cosmo was so upsetting I could not talk about it for a long time, but we all love Sophie. She is a little toot toot!

Marian H said...

Sophie Grace is such a cutie!

Both those books sound intriguing...of course, I was the little girl that loved books about monsters. :P I'm starting to get into Japanese history & literature, so I'll keep these on my radar.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marion. I have recently become interested in other religions and cultures and their belief about the afterlife and how it compares to Christian beliefs. Interesting how so many believe in the spiritual realm.