Sunday, March 3, 2019

Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature by Erich Auerbach tranlated by Willar R. Rask

Here is Jean Rondeau (can that really be his last name?) playing Bach's Chaconne.  Not everyone likes the harpsichord and it does not have the variety in dynamics and color the piano has, which is why it was eclipsed pretty quick after the invention of said piano.  But there is definitely a timbre that is all the harpsichord's own and I think Rondeau shows great powers of expression.

The other night I was going for a walk, deep in my own thoughts.  Then I looked up and turned my head to the left.  Here is what I saw:


Glad I had my phone.  I started snapping.




Every now and then it pays to get out of your head and look at the world around you.




Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature - New and Expanded EditionMimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature - New and Expanded Edition by Erich Auerbach

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I will not to attempt to review a book of this scope. I will briefly say that Auerbach's intention was to show how literature through the ages interpret reality. He starts with Ancient Greek saga and compares it with Bible epics and shows the different intentions in each.

He moves on to the lore of the middle ages and the impact Christianity had on that literature. He also analyzes the enlightenment and gives one of the most piercing and scathing observations about Voltaire's work. I must say I enjoyed Auerbach reinforcing what I had always thought about Voltaire, namely that the author creates fantasy worlds to prove his enlightenment points. Voltaire loved stretching reality out of proportion and depicting people as buffoons as if this really showed how things were and why his personal philosophy held water.

Another observation he makes about several authors from Voltaire's time to the 20th century is how the Bourgeoisie become the universal scapegoats as to what is wrong with the world. And who is condemning and holding them in contempt? Author and artists from the elite wealthy class who consider it immoral that the middle class should work hard for the material comforts that they, the elite were born into.

His final essay is about Virginia Woolf and really all I learned is that I do not find her a particularly interesting writer. He quotes great swathes of her "To The Lighthouse" which seems bogged down in trivial minutia.

This is a valuable read, but also a weighty one and I am sure someone more intelligent than me could do better justice in reviewing it.



View all my reviews




10 comments:

mudpuddle said...

love harpsichord, especially Scarlatti... we saw a sunset like that last night, but forgot to get photos... truly spectacular... and it sounds like a complex volume replete with ideas... not one i'll ever read though, probably... my old grey matter is pretty strained with the little things i do now...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle. I love the harpsichord too. It was definitely a heavy read, but I'm glad I was able to glean something out of it. I found that the works he analyzed that I was familiar with, made a lot more sense to me, although I found his essay on Rabelais interesting, even though I've never read him.

Brian Joseph said...

I love Bach and I love the Harpsichord. Rondeu sounds wonderful.

This book sounds like something that I would love. I tend to eat this stuff up.

I also noticed the hatred of the middle class by some writers through the centuries. It is terribly wrongheaded.

Parts of this would also be over my head. I would still blindly dive in :)

Have a great week Sharon.

Cleo @ Classical Carousel said...

I own this book so I was so happy to see your review pop up and the 5 star rating. I think I'd agree with him about Voltaire however To The Lighthouse is one of my favourites. I think you have to approach Woolf's work differently ..... she can weave wonderful images but honestly other than that book, she's not one of my favourite authors. In any case, you've inspired me to pull this out again when my kitchen reno is complete. Thanks for the review!

mudpuddle said...

i think i started G&P once but didn't like it much... as i recall i thought it was rather silly... and gross...

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Definitely interesting! And how life/history keeps repeating itself. (I'm telling you...we're heading for another "French Revolution!) So I will add this to my wishlist/TBR.

I have to weed through Woolf because I just don't connect with her style. The one book I did love was not a novel, but her speech, "A Room of One's Own." Have you read it?

P.S. Don't you love those sunsets?

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Cleo. Well, I have gone and bought some Woolf. Because of you and others, whose opinions I respect, I am willing to give her a try. I'll post a review after I read her novels.

If you review Mimesis, I'll look forward to reading it.

Sharon Wilfong said...

HI Ruth. I think I read A Room of One's Own. Is that a series of essays she prepared for a speech at a woman's college?

As I told Cleo, I am willing to give her a shot so we'll see.

I would enjoy more of those sunsets if I'd get my head out of my thoughts and just enjoy the scenery around me.

Sharon Wilfong said...

That's the story that is analyzed in Mimesis. I'm not sure I would like it either and Rabelais is kind of vulgar.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian, for some reason your comment was in my waiting for moderation folder. Sorry to take so long responding.
I did feel that the books the author analyzes that I was not familiar with was over my head, but I got what I could out of it. Maybe I'll be able to back to it later in my life.

Have a good week!